Sonic Electronix

Say Ive got a box with a slot port tuned to whatever, will sanding the mouth/opening of the port to improve airflow/reduce port noise, will doing that affect tuning at all? And what if I did it to the inside the box like where the port starts also?

2003 rsx:Alpine CDE-102Fosgate P300-1Fosgate P1 6.5"s15" Re SRX

Sanding won't effect it at all really. If you have a router, go over it with a roundover bit - you will be 10000000000x more pleased with the result than if you sanded it. think of the rounded edges as trying to push 50lbs of snow through a 90* corner, or trying to push it through a rounded corner. What's going to be easier for it to travel through? Same with boxes with 45*s and rounded edges / flared ports.

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

Sanding won't effect it at all really. If you have a router, go over it with a roundover bit - you will be 10000000000x more pleased with the result than if you sanded it. think of the rounded edges as trying to push 50lbs of snow through a 90* corner, or trying to push it through a rounded corner. What's going to be easier for it to travel through? Same with boxes with 45*s and rounded edges / flared ports.

So I can add 45's aswell without having to worry about tuning being changed?

2003 rsx:Alpine CDE-102Fosgate P300-1Fosgate P1 6.5"s15" Re SRX

So I can add 45's aswell without having to worry about tuning being changed?

Depends on how big the 45's are. If they are like 4-5" wide and you have 3 or 4 of them that will drop the volume of the enclosure and raise tuning.

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

Nooooooo... Depends on the size of those 45's. I know mine were 3 inches long, by 14.5 high, and I had 5. Each piece when sat in the corner was 2.15 inches from edge, to the corner of the box. Now take into account these are triangles, so its 1/2bh to find area. So that puts me at .33 cubic feet each corner. Take that , and multiply by 5 and you get about 167. Divide by a cubic ft (144) and you get 1.16 cubic feet of displacement with just 45 corners that are 3 inches by 14.5. And that WILL throw off the tuning. Just sanding the corners won't be a noticible effect.

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

then dont expect them to have much of an effect. The bigger the 45, the smoother the curve. just saying ;)

2006 Nissan Z Track.

My Feedback Thread

2nqd37b.png

DCSig.jpg

Archived