Second Skin Audio

Box building and design

what would be the max space to put the 12"s in then you think? I dont have them with me at the moment but building a new box is the first thing im doing when i get them back. How about like a 5-6 ft3?

I am trying to get the pyles to sound good since they aren't very good subs. And they are rated at 1400W each but im thinking they wont be able to handle that very well and I dont want to drop money on a decent amp for crap subs. So you think they would boom a little in the big box with little wattage behind them?

Well, if you go with the Type R´s option and want to use that same box on the future for better subs, i would go with 4 - 4.4 cubic feet and a pair of 6" aeroports, that should be loud!!! 5-6 cubic feet it´s a giant box that could slam on some BTL´s , DD 9512 or something like that, but that size for "cheap" i think they will bottom out!!

And yes, i think those Pyles could play nice on a big box, try 6-7 feet for them, even more if you want, you never know, maybe they´ll pound hard haha.

and whats the deal with this port area thing? I know about tuning boxes and there are many tuning calculators, but whats the deal with the port area? Does that have to do with the size of the slot if you make a slotted port? like a 3 inch wide port in a 12 inch tall box would be about 31 inches2? What is best for different applications? More power vs Less power

Well, port area it´s kind of tricky, there are subs that don´t like big ports and viceverse, big ass port doesn´t help you a lot with small power, also depends on the car, my Swift HATE big ports, depends on a lot of factors, best thing for you is to start trying some things on your car, maybe you could fine some guys on termpro forum wich used a car like yours and can give you some tips about what to do and don´t.

vent are depends on which woofer your using.

you will never learn all of the tricks to making a correct box on a forum.

comes from alot of practice and trial and error and TL time in cars

Very well said my friend, you have to trial and error A LOT!!!

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

K thanks man! By the way, the Pyles will not be going in a car, only large spaces like my room or infinite space out on my boat eventually. How would large space effect the design of a box? Many home theater subs are ported and sound good, but right now the sub on my boat is sealed and sounds the best. I should be getting these pyles in the mail pretty soon hopefully this week. Gonna test them outside in a big ported box, but then might try them outside on the boat see how it responds. Cant wait to start trying out different boxes, need a decent saw first, been hard getting those strait lines with my circular saw. But I'm sure I'll get better.

TY

Moet poppin', hoe hoppin', aint no stoppin' B.I.G. poppa, I'm a bad boy

Party and Bullshit - The Notorious B.I.G.

Honest estimate on this truck when it's all done........... 172.3...........

Ehh.. U are aware of what 172.3 is, right?

yep.....:)

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

Good thinking man, well don´t know much about home theaters, but should be something similar, try to get the box close to a corner of the room or something :peepwall:

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

• 2 months later...

well i went with a 6.3 cubes tuned to about 35.

I should have listened to you and gone with what you said with the tube ports

i would have gotten a few more cubes :angry: haha

oh well, live and learn :pardon:

thanks for all the help

ty

TY

Moet poppin', hoe hoppin', aint no stoppin' B.I.G. poppa, I'm a bad boy

Party and Bullshit - The Notorious B.I.G.

Honest estimate on this truck when it's all done........... 172.3...........

Ehh.. U are aware of what 172.3 is, right?

yep.....:)

Two Pyle 15"s Build log