Second Skin Audio

Speaker terminals on marine box

moetpoppin

I have built a new box for my boat subwoofer. It is a RF P110S8 10" Subwoofer running about 150 watts RMS. I am getting to the point where I have to cut a new hole for running the speaker wires to the inside.(I have been testing the box and subwoofer inverted for the time being and it sounds beautiful :woot: )

I have four options but don't want two of them.

1. Cut a hole out of a speaker terminal cup
  2. Drill out two holes for Nuts and Bolts home made terminal
  3. Drill hole in box for wire to pass through and seal up said hole
  4. Mount Subwoofer inverted

The two that I want to for sure stay away from are drilling a hole for just the wire to pass through and sealing it up. This is how the old box was built by someone else, and eventually broke its seal and could slide in and out freely. The other way I don't want to finish the box is mounting the subwoofer inverted. I would think about it in a car, but this is a marine setting and I want to keep the woofer dry. It has been fine when mounted normally as far as water.

The two options I have left are cutting a hole out for a speaker terminal cup or drilling small holes in the wood to pass bolts and nuts to fasten terminals inside and outside of the box with nuts/washers.

I think the bolts/nuts/washers is the best idea for the marine environment.

Let me know what you all think.

and if using the nuts and bolts, what hardware material/metal finish would be best for electric conductivity and in a humid environment?

PS I will be providing pictures soon in the next post.

TY

Moet poppin', hoe hoppin', aint no stoppin' B.I.G. poppa, I'm a bad boy

Party and Bullshit - The Notorious B.I.G.

Honest estimate on this truck when it's all done........... 172.3...........

Ehh.. U are aware of what 172.3 is, right?

yep.....:)

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

Here are the pictures I have taken so far. Yes the box is made from finished plywood, but this sub is so small that it doesn't flex the box at all. Also, the slightest humidity can mess up the MDF on a boat. Whether it be the edges, insides or outsides, or even any of the 32+ screw holes. One drop of water, box ruined.

These are pictures of the box. I want to drill the holes right about where the + is located or maybe on the top side since I may be laying the box with subwoofer up.

Boatsubboxnew.jpg

Boatsubboxnewangle.jpg

Boatsubboxnewup.jpg

This is my second box build but first time without a table saw. It was a pain in the ass but is working perfectly now. Look at those messed up corners and nasty gaps. :pardon:

boatsubboxunevencorners.jpg

Boatsubboxgap.jpg

Here is the subwoofer mounted inside the box to show how it will look in the end, except the gasket will be flipped over in the correct way. It is on upside down because I tested the subwoofer by mounting it inverted.

boatsubboxwithsubmounted.jpg

boatsubboxwithsubmounted2.jpg

This is how I have the subwoofer right now and until I mount some sort of speaker terminals. She is bumpin crazy right now though :good:

I will be posting pictures of the end result of the terminals. Eventually I will be coating both inside and out with resin, caulk, and matching carpet. Should be looking nice with the end result.

TY

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

ive always gone with "plain" nuts and bolts...from lowes or home depot :good:

Sounds good. What metal finish are those? And what sizes have you used? I am only running 14 gauge wire to this so I'm betting anything larger than a 1/4" would be overkill? What do you think?

TY

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

Going inverted in a boat would be a very foolish idea..Basket and spider out in the elements in a boat I think not! Just call it a day and do bolts and wing nuts and if your feeling frisky get a water proof quick disconnect.

The Shoe Maker without shoes!

Going inverted in a boat would be a very foolish idea..Basket and spider out in the elements in a boat I think not! Just call it a day and do bolts and wing nuts and if your feeling frisky get a water proof quick disconnect.

Havent seen any of these waterproof quick disconnects. Where can you get them? And I would never mount it inverted on my boat haha. The Punch series subs have a nice conical shape with no separate dust cap so I think they are probably better than other woofers in a marine setting. Besides those actual marine environment subwoofers.

What type of metal should I go with on the bolts?

TY

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

Yeah 3/8 seems like it would be plenty! And I even got a set of crimps that are a 3/8" opening ring terminal so that would be perfect. Also 3/8" would be big enough that it would be as painful/sharp on the rest of the boat when sliding around than a 1/4" bolt.

TY

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

yep they work great and get some wing nuts, doesn matter what kind, so connect and disconnect the speaker wire when ever you need to.

at lowes you find them in the plastic bins, they sell them individually so you can buy how ever many you need

hope that helps :drinks:

Just Google water proof quick disconnect you'll find tons of them I used a set from Wet Sounds on the last boat I did. Just choose the gauge of wire and the corresponding connector.

The Shoe Maker without shoes!

Archived