Sundown Audio

SA Series Coil Cooling Testing

Testing to see how well it keeps the coil temperature down by seeing how much power compression we get.

Quoted from video :

"Testing our new "woofer power test" rig... we have an adjustable voltage knob on the wall socket to get the power level we want. For the first 2 minutes or so we are trying to read on the "power" setting on the clamp but it didn't want to cooperate so I changed over to simply amperage and voltage afterward. At 2:20 we have 11.64A/61.6V for 717 watts... after a full 4 minutes and 45 seconds at 7:05we still have 11.19A so the sub is still seeing 689 watts. So we are seeing VERY little power compression even above rated power on a pure 60 Hz sine wave after 7 full minutes -- which is not even taking advantage of the air cooling as much as a lower frequency."

I'll use this data to examine how my upcoming tweaks to the cooling system work.

Pretty boring video... but I figured people would get mad if I edited it in any way :)

Edited by sundownz

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

Well here it is... I was very sad that it didn't last longer thermally but I am still impressed with the engineering put into the motor of the new Type-R :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os4TZTpLNSI

"Done to compare with SA-12 results... we dialed in power as close as we could but the Type-R didn't last long. Few samples of actual power applied : 28 seconds = 497 watts / 51 seconds = 667 watts / 1 minute 18 seconds = 717 watts -- woofer didn't last much longer when exposed to a hair over 700 watts. Conclusion... SA-12 coil cooling is more effective."

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg

So it's not a total waste I took some pictures of the Type-R after we blew it... Brandon took the hammer to it before I got many "before" pictures *laughs* It is worth nothing that you cannot remote the Type-R motor from the frame as far as we could tell.

TYPER1.JPG

* Around the edges you can see where air vents to the outside in the slits between the top plate.

TYPER2.JPG

* The special curve on the pole flattens BL

CIMG4096.JPG

* One piece frame / shorting ring assembly... the magnet was busted out to see this... magnet is multiple V shaped pieces.

CIMG4097.JPG

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

Banner_468x60.jpg