Second Skin Audio

Bad Sub? or new alternator?

Hey, just got the new system put together and after hooking it all up, the sub sounds really distorted at mid volume. I checked the box size 1.18 cu ft with a small amount of polyfil, I set the gains on my amp with a Voltage Meter, and did research online to make sure all of my settings are right. The sub is a 12w6v2 (wired in parallel) running off an hd750/1. I have 2 guage wiring that splits into 4 guage and I keep thinking it may be that my alternator is too weak to support the 2 amps I have. There is slight dimming with my lights on when the subs it, and the alternator is stock on a 2000 ford ranger. I don't have the equalizer hooked up right now.... I have also had the same problem before with a 10w7 and a 500/1 in the past, but I just thought it was the sub that was messed up, now I am having the same problem. Any help would be nice before I end up messing up my sub or buying something I don't need if it could be a small problem.. Thanks.

THE BASS KICKS AND THE HEADS TURN. THE STEERING WHEEL PULSES UNDER YOUR FINGERS AND YOU MORE THAN HEAR THE MUSIC, YOU FEEL IT. THE CRISP, CLEAR SOUND JARS THE COMPLACENCY FROM YOUR SOUL AND LEAVES YOUR PROBLEMS SCATTERED ON THE HIGHWAY UNROLLING BEHIND YOU. HERE IN YOUR CAR, YOU ARE KING. THIS IS YOUR WORLD, YOUR TIME, WHERE YOU ARE THE STAR AND YOU PICK THE SOUNDTRACK…

Alpine CDA-9887

Audiocontrol three.1

JL Audio xd400/4

JL Audio C5-570 Components

JL Audio C2-570x

JL Audio hd750/1

JL Audio 12w6v2

Optima Yellow Top

Viper 350hv

Alpine cda-9887.

THE BASS KICKS AND THE HEADS TURN. THE STEERING WHEEL PULSES UNDER YOUR FINGERS AND YOU MORE THAN HEAR THE MUSIC, YOU FEEL IT. THE CRISP, CLEAR SOUND JARS THE COMPLACENCY FROM YOUR SOUL AND LEAVES YOUR PROBLEMS SCATTERED ON THE HIGHWAY UNROLLING BEHIND YOU. HERE IN YOUR CAR, YOU ARE KING. THIS IS YOUR WORLD, YOUR TIME, WHERE YOU ARE THE STAR AND YOU PICK THE SOUNDTRACK…

Alpine CDA-9887

Audiocontrol three.1

JL Audio xd400/4

JL Audio C2-570x

JL Audio hd750/1

JL Audio 12w6v2

Optima Yellow Top

Viper 350hv

either your box is too small, (i dont know the specs for your woofer off the top of my head) or the settings on the amp/headunit are HELLA fucked up. who set your gains/settings?

Have you checked your ground to make sure its tight?

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

Box recommendations are 1.25 cu ft and the box is small by .07. I set the gain on my amp with a dmm and backed down on the gain just a bit more. There is no bass boost on the amp/head unit, just a subwoofer level control. And settings on cd player all should be normal, I defeated the eq on the cd player and it still sounds bad. The sub sounds great when it isn't close to me, but when I put my ear close to it, it doesn't sound clean at all.

Alpine CDA-9887

Audiocontrol three.1

JL Audio xd400/4

JL Audio C2-570x

JL Audio hd750/1

JL Audio 12w6v2

Optima Yellow Top

Viper 350hv

And the grounds are good...

Alpine CDA-9887

Audiocontrol three.1

JL Audio xd400/4

JL Audio C2-570x

JL Audio hd750/1

JL Audio 12w6v2

Optima Yellow Top

Viper 350hv

Hmm, I would suggest rechecking ALL wires. It doesn't hurt to do it. As for the lights dimming, get a better front battery or add another.

Ill do a recheck on the wires, but the battery is an optima yellow. I also considered getting a 100A-150A alternator or doing the big 3. I just don't want to put money into it if it doesn't fix my problem..

Alpine CDA-9887

Audiocontrol three.1

JL Audio xd400/4

JL Audio C2-570x

JL Audio hd750/1

JL Audio 12w6v2

Optima Yellow Top

Viper 350hv