Sundown Audio

Burnt down AP30001d

PUNKYOU007

As the title says. Is there a particular reason that mosfets burn? My buddy just got an AP3000. Subs are wired to 3 ohms. Today he was bumpin and he said his shit just cut out, he looked back and nothing but smoke. I will put up some pics as soon as he sends them to me.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

heat.

im trying to learn how to fix amps at the moment. if you pay for the parts ill try to do it for free.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

ill explain better lol.

as im sure you know, as the voltage drops the amp needs more amperage to get the same power. this also causes more heat as the amp works harder to keep up. they can burn just from that or they can get stick open or closed. if stuck closed then there is a constant flow of current (heat) until something fails and opens the connection again through melting.

i have a theory to add. mosfets come in different resistances. this is not something you can choose, you just have to sort through them and match them all up when you get them. i believe the cheaper amp companies dont sort them out. so you may have a row of mosfets at .6-.8ohm then have one in the line at .2ohm. now this .2ohm mosfet is the path of least resistance and will have more current go through it. this will make a point of failure. once one mosfet goes down, the power is diverted to the remaining mosfets and they fail in turn.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

I will let my buddy know about your offer. So if i am reading correctly, The mosfets burning up were most likely due to heat. Not failure of other components. So if we can replace the mosfets....we should be back in commission?

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

not for sure. the power supply could be toast. several resistors would have gone out with them. like i said im just starting so im not exactly sure every component that could be a factor. open it up and see what fets burned.

coulnt guarantee i can fix it, but the amp is so cheap it cant be worth it to pay some one. see if he will just give it to me. itll give me something to do when im not job hunting.

Hopefully the pics are decent enough. I was in a rush this morning so i just snapped a couple. There are three mosfets that are burnt. All three are on the same amp board in the case, the board on the end with the RCA jacks. There are two on sone side of that board and the other is across from them . Like I said I was in a rush so I did not get to inspect closly but from what I saw thats all that was burnt.

b726569b.jpg

35ee2fa5.jpg

7dab3b11.jpg

375193ec.jpg

87f4e464.jpg

**edit**

So from actually looking at my own pics... we may be looking at 6 mosfets not 3. My buddy told me three last night over the phone. I guess cause of the plate that holds them down.

d(-__-)b

Where might I go to get some new mosfets?

d(-__-)b

Where might I go to get some new mosfets?

digikey.com if you can find a part number for those fets. if you need 6, order 12 so you can match up the same resistances. test them all, just because one isnt burt doesnt mean its not bad. each fet should have a resistor going to it that probably failed as well.

Bump for moar people online

d(-__-)b

Archived