Sonic Electronix

I got a MTX Thunder 1501D from my brother which he purchased from somebody on Craigslist. When i turn the amp on it pushes my subs all the way out and stays there untill i turn it off. I hooked up my brothers 7500 12 up to it and it smoked the shit out of the voice coil. I want to see if this thing be easily or cheaply fixed. So far over the phone i was quoted $20 deposit and they should be able to diagnose it in an hour but if they dont do anything im out $20. I can do custom installs with any setup of amps but i can't fix them unless i know exactly what needs fixed. So if anybody can help me i would appreciate the advice.

41322_154602224555420_100000169308993_577167_5608546_n.jpg44387_154602804555362_100000169308993_577187_5193016_n.jpg

Edited by Premier

01 Crown Vic

Kenwood HU

iPad mounted

MTX 1501D amp

2 12" MTX 7500 subs

Stock alt and batt

http://www.youtube.com/user/jasonleshuk/videos

I'm guessing that the speaker outputs are at rail voltage, how that happened and what is causing it? Don't ask me, I don't have a clue. But that's what would make the sub do that.

Edited by bassl0va

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

have one of those payed 375 for it lasted a yr and took a shit on me. it hits at like a quarter of the power it should be at. took it to a shop and they actually fixed my other mtx amp but this one was fucked up from one of the micro chips. i called MTX and they said they dont fix them any more and they would give me credit towards a re manufactured one with less power plsu $220 that i would send them, i was like WTF so i kept the amp and its now in the basement collecting dust. will never buy one again, see them on CraigsList all the time...

I'm guessing that the speaker outputs are at rail voltage, how that happened and what is causing it? Don't ask me, I don't have a clue. But that's what would make the sub do that.

Learning fast you are, young jedi.

Like he said, the amp is leaking DC rail voltage to the speaker outputs. Most common cause is a bad output MOSFET that is short circuit source-drain or occasionally it's a bad drive circuit which is pushing the FETs wide open. Don't keep running it, it may well just explode because the power supply can't handle the load of a short circuit.

May be as simple as replacing the output FETs but with those amps being what they are, I bet it isn't.

db-r.com probably won't fix it for you but can most likely refer you to somewhere that will.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

I was thinking of fixing it myself but i think im gonna try a shop. If i can fix it for about $100 then i'll keep it. From what i have heard this is a pretty powerful amp Thanks for the help.

01 Crown Vic

Kenwood HU

iPad mounted

MTX 1501D amp

2 12" MTX 7500 subs

Stock alt and batt

http://www.youtube.com/user/jasonleshuk/videos

Learning fast you are, young jedi.

hehe :cheers:

you could probably find someone on this site that will fix it for you for cheaper than a shop. If you could even find a shop that fixes amps.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.