Wiring upgrades? Where to start.?

First off the vehicle is a 1991 Ford F250 extended cab 7.3 IDI

I'm trying to build my first system but i need to do it right on the vehicle side before i start adding things.

Upfront the vehicle has i believe 00 guage power from battery to battery and so on (dual batt stock)

I plan on running an amp with a 2400w peak 1200rms, Im going to be running 2 12s in a custom box in the back (im still finalizing that part)

Depending on options the stock alt is roughly 90 amps. I have two batterys wanting to say group 24. This being a diesel it has glow plugs, one of the reasons for dual batterys. I opted to bypass the stock system of controlling them in which i have my own button to control them. They draw 250a for as long as i want to hold it down or til they burn up. (noramlly i hold em for 9 seconds) my battery voltage barely drops. But it does and my lights dim. With the watts im wanting to run im gonna have max pull of 200a at peak (if im using the right math 2400w peak at 12v (engine off)would be 200 or 2400w at 13.3 (roughly what it is for me idling)which would be 180a.

Im gonna be installing two group 31 batterys (big rig batterys) its a common upgrade for my vehicle. Technically only one group 31 would power it fine, but its not much modification add the larger batterys, and the wiring for two battery is already there. This would bring my 750cca to 1050cca. And i cant get them pretty cheap.

I plan on doing the big 3 when i swapp over the batterys, I know i need a 4g wire for my amp.

This being a diesel i dont have much running draw on the alt. Basically lights, sensors and tranny pcm and stereo of course. (its a mechanical diesel) so what my question is based on the information i have here. what else should i do? Im thinking maybe upgrade to a 130 amp alt will be fine.

Any thoughts or should i be fine. or am i already overkill?

Anthony

"The happiness of a a man in this life does not consist in the absence, but in the mastery of his passions"

~Alfred Lord Tennyson~

Seems like a GOOD 4 gauge would do the trick, if you got the money go for the 0/1 for sure, just make sure your amp has 1/0 power inputs.

KnuKonceptz is used by TONS of people on here including me. Never heard anything bad about them and in my opinion its the best for the money.

http://stores.ebay.com/KnuKonceptz-com/Amp-Kits-/_i.html?_fsub=2&_sid=10299195&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

29yr3gg.jpg

Custom Car Audio

(815) 916 - 9194

www.midwestsplcustoms.com

2000 Tahoe | 22" GREED Celebrities

Alpine CDA-117

Dual 0/1 Runs

(3) 925 CA Group 31 In Back

(4) 18" FI Audio Q's (W/ Extra Spider)

(4) Hifonics BXi 2010D

Hifonics ZXi 4410

4 RF P1653 6 1/2's

Big 3

All Kicker/Knu Wiring

It sounds good to me, maybe step it up to the 130 amp alt. But I would rather be an overkill than to have crazy voltage drop. If these are all things that you thought about doing then I see it as why not.

2003 Chevy Blazerkenwood headunit4 ga. kicker wiringAQ1200D amp2 12" DC LVL 3'sStinger Volt MeterMy Build LogBlazer is no longer. Totaled 02/14/2012drew.png

no. this is for converting dc to ac. useful if you want to run a blender inside your car.

Ya i try to go overkill. I live in the sticks so having a issues because i cut a corner sucks, especially if it cause a catostrophic failure like a no start. Plus i use this truck to do free lance work out of.

Just trying to divide my money up between, tires, turbo, audio, and misc.

so my thing is being efficient with money and doing it right, never a good combination

Anthony

Ps thanks for the heads up on the Knu wiring ill look into it.

"The happiness of a a man in this life does not consist in the absence, but in the mastery of his passions"

~Alfred Lord Tennyson~

Archived