Sonic Electronix

the guys at the car audio shop that I bought the sub and amp from tell me the box does not matter.

I've never built a box before, so I want to pay someone to make one quality (and I did, found a guy that has been making cabinets or something for 20 years and owns his own shop)

My problem is that the guy wants $100 and there is no way for me to be sure it's going to sound better.

What if it sounds worse?

I measured the current $50 box and it's: (width x height x depth) W:1'7" H:1'2" D:1'5"

The box dimensions needed for my sub are W:2'5" H:1'2" D:1'0.625"

How hard is it to do it myself?

Lowest price you would pay someone to do it?

Here is a pic of what needs to be done.

portsj.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i suck men dry...email me for details

the audio shop is telling you that because they are trying to sell you a prefab box in a round about way. Ive never had anyone unhappy when going from a prefab to a custom designed and built to spec box.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

the guys at the car audio shop that I bought the sub and amp from tell me the box does not matter.

I've never built a box before, so I want to pay someone to make one quality (and I did, found a guy that has been making cabinets or something for 20 years and owns his own shop)

My problem is that the guy wants $100 and there is no way for me to be sure it's going to sound better.

What if it sounds worse?

I measured the current $50 box and it's: (width x height x depth) W:1'7" H:1'2" D:1'5"

The box dimensions needed for my sub are W:2'5" H:1'2" D:1'0.625"

How hard is it to do it myself?

Lowest price you would pay someone to do it?

Here is a pic of what needs to be done.

portsj.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Never shop at that store again! Pay somebody that KNOWS how to build boxes to do it. I paid $200 for my last box to be built not counting what I have in liner on the outside. The box makes or breaks the sound of your system.

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

Never shop at that store again! Pay somebody that KNOWS how to build boxes to do it. I paid $200 for my last box to be built not counting what I have in liner on the outside. The box makes or breaks the sound of your system.

Why did it cost so much?

For my first box, I don't care about looks or design - just what works best...and quality...

200 bucks for a box is cheap. its probably 50 in material alone maybe then the plan and design and the time to build it. I dont do boxes for that price.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

200 bucks for a box is cheap. its probably 50 in material alone maybe then the plan and design and the time to build it. I dont do boxes for that price.

Exactly! $200 gets you a ported rectangle without rounded edges ans no paint. When you start getting into nicer boxes, rounding and 45 corners your talking 2 times what I paid just for your box.

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

Why did it cost so much?

For my first box, I don't care about looks or design - just what works best...and quality...

a good design=what works best. find someone on here that designs boxes, pay them for a design and build it yourself. it's not that hard to build boxes ;)

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, Big 3 done in 1/0, 1 run 1/0 ran to amp

DAT HF1000.1 #007 powering a DC lvl4 15

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

1st place in AS3 @ Surf City Sound Off, 140.8 @ 45hz @ the headrest.

rebuild coming soon to get a better score :)

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."

So the guy that owns a shop and is willing to do it for $100 is a good deal?

Exactly! $200 gets you a ported rectangle without rounded edges ans no paint. When you start getting into nicer boxes, rounding and 45 corners your talking 2 times what I paid just for your box.

Does the price reflect on the sound output/internals of the box? I'm only looking for sound quality...

So the guy that owns a shop and is willing to do it for $100 is a good deal?

if you bring him a design and he builds it, it seems like an ok deal. I paid damn near 70 just in wood...lol

Edited by DHFHades

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, Big 3 done in 1/0, 1 run 1/0 ran to amp

DAT HF1000.1 #007 powering a DC lvl4 15

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

1st place in AS3 @ Surf City Sound Off, 140.8 @ 45hz @ the headrest.

rebuild coming soon to get a better score :)

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."