Alright, I got the "gist" of it... anyways I have a 3800+ dual core im looking to overclock, for some reason I can only get it to 2.2GHz... I know part of it is the ram, but I had it at 2.4 the other day with some old ram (to make it 2 gigs) in it and it would lock up when I got my processor at 100%. Is it only cause of cooling? My computer wont POST if I up the Vcore... Why is this?

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

first thing you need to do is raise voltage to cpu as ur raising the multiplier. And i would advise getting a new heatsink. I overclocked to my comp to 2.8 and it locked up and wouldnt post. And i cant get it passed 2.65 now. So i think somhow it resets itself not allowing you to go as far.

System Specs:

Alpine SWR-1542D 15" sub

Sealed Subwoofer Box

MTX mxa 6001 Class D 774watts RMS @ 2ohms

MTX Bass Knob

Pioneer 6.5's in doors

MTX Thunderdome 6x9 in rear

Stinger 1 Farad capacitor

80 amp stinger fuse

BIG 3 in 4 gauge wire

4 gauge power/ground wire

JVC MP3 CD Car Deck (KD-G320)

12 gauge Monster speaker wire to Sub

16 gauge Stinger speaker wire to doors

Stinger Gold Plated Battery Terminals

On my last mobo I could overclock the speed of the processor while upping the Vcore (voltage to cpu) and it would POST everytime. I am thinking that if I got different cooling it might work, just seems weird that if I up the vcore it wont POST at all... I can up the MHz to the processor all I want but once I touch the vcore it wont POST...

158F under full load... that is 69C ish

Edited by Cdizzle

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

158F under full load... that is 69C ish

theres your problem right there. get some better cooling man! i overclocked my old Barton AMD from 1.3 to 2.0 GHz and im still running at a smooth 33C anything over about 55C sets off an "alarm" (we'll just call it that cuz thats what it pretty much is) on the motherboard telling the computer to shut down immediately. now i've never had to mess with voltage settings to overclock, only memory timings. im betting i could get my CPU up to 2.5 GHz if i had some faster ram (im still running some old DDR 333 MHz crap) but im guessing thats your problem. depending on how fast your ram is limits how much you can overclock, that and how hot your CPU is getting ;)

16321145278.jpg

theres your problem right there. get some better cooling man! i overclocked my old Barton AMD from 1.3 to 2.0 GHz and im still running at a smooth 33C anything over about 55C sets off an "alarm" (we'll just call it that cuz thats what it pretty much is) on the motherboard telling the computer to shut down immediately. now i've never had to mess with voltage settings to overclock, only memory timings. im betting i could get my CPU up to 2.5 GHz if i had some faster ram (im still running some old DDR 333 MHz crap) but im guessing thats your problem. depending on how fast your ram is limits how much you can overclock, that and how hot your CPU is getting ;)

I am running Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM (x2 512)... I dont know what the stock MHz is on it... but right now it is only running at 171.5 MHz.... and I dont think that is good at all... I dont think that cooling is an issue yet... only when I touch the vcore...

cpu-z_cpu.jpg

cpu-z_memory.jpg

Do you know how to mess with memory timings?

Edited by Cdizzle

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

You are going to make it big one day. For real. :blink:

4 15" FI Q D2's in 12 cubes tuned to 32hz

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

-Trunk sealed off from the cabin

Custom 15.8 dual-volt switching MLA module

All in a CAR.

cpu-z_memory.jpg

Do you know how to mess with memory timings?

yea thats most likely your problem right there. my CPU-Z says im running my ram at 200 MHz, and my FSB is rated at 400... so if i got faster ram, i could overclock a bit more, but yours... yours says you're running at 240 bus speed, and can go up to 960... with only 174 memory clock. something seems weird there. what brand of motherboard do you have? i'll look up exactly what you'd need to do to get the most out of your timings.

16321145278.jpg

ive overclocked my p4 3.0 to 3.4 and i can still run @ around 65 - 70F. overclocking really does no harm unless you have the correct cooling for the job. i tried getting it higher and it would boot up, but after 10 mins of working in windows it would lock up then shut down. I think i had it up over 3.6ghz. messing with memory timings is a whole nother story. right now i have all kinds of mixed memory in my pc (bad bad bad) because i ran into a problem with my friend and had to give up 2 of my 512 sticks of corsair. :(

12" fi q

rf t10001

naw mean