cpu-z_memory_stock.jpg

Went back to stock cause I needed to burn a movie and it locked up at 2.4Ghz, so I am at stock now and the RAM MHz is up 300 mhz.... I dont know what the deal is cause the RAM should have been OC'ed with the processor...

cpu-z_cpu_stock.jpg

check out the HT link and the Bus speed compared to the OC'ed picture I took.

Edited by Cdizzle

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

yea but your memory and FSB is at 201 MHz now... weird... well as far as i can see, thats what your problem is. your ram is most likely standard PC3200 DDR-400 ram, which tops out at 200 MHz which means you're topped out on what your ram can handle, which explains why it locks up. if you want to overclock more, i dont think you'll be able to with that motherboard, so you'd have to grab a new motherboard that supports DDR2 and grab some new ram too so you can go faster.

Edited by Chaos
16321145278.jpg

yea but your memory and FSB is at 201 MHz now... weird... well as far as i can see, thats what your problem is. your ram is most likely standard PC3200 DDR-400 ram, which tops out at 200 MHz which means you're topped out on what your ram can handle, which explains why it locks up. if you want to overclock more, i dont think you'll be able to with that motherboard, so you'd have to grab a new motherboard that supports DDR2 and grab some new ram too so you can go faster.

But what I dont understand is when I overclock, the RAM FSB goes down to 174.5MHz....

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

Looks like it is going to max out at around 2.35GHz, I tested it at 2.4 and it got through 3 tests and crashed, I lowered the vcore, and the mhz to the processor and am testing again its on test 5.... I hope that this is stable cause I dont want to go any lower... RAM is at 235.0MHz so i got that overclocked finally.

If I loosen up the timing on the ram, would I be able to overclock that CPU more?

Edited by Cdizzle

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

Looks like it is going to max out at around 2.35GHz, I tested it at 2.4 and it got through 3 tests and crashed, I lowered the vcore, and the mhz to the processor and am testing again its on test 5.... I hope that this is stable cause I dont want to go any lower... RAM is at 235.0MHz so i got that overclocked finally.

If I loosen up the timing on the ram, would I be able to overclock that CPU more?

hmm... maybe my setup is different than yours then. in my case, if i go ANYTHING over 200 MHz on my ram, it wont start, so im maxed out on overclocking because of that, thats weird that it would let you go all the way up to 235 MHz and not freeze up. and also weird that the ram is SLOWER when your overclocked. if you got a camera or something, maybe take a picture of your bios screen for me on what settings you're changing.

Edited by Chaos
16321145278.jpg

hmm... maybe my setup is different than yours then. in my case, if i go ANYTHING over 200 MHz on my ram, it wont start, so im maxed out on overclocking because of that, thats weird that it would let you go all the way up to 235 MHz and not freeze up. and also weird that the ram is SLOWER when your overclocked. if you got a camera or something, maybe take a picture of your bios screen for me on what settings you're changing.

Dude, my ram (yours should be too) is stock at 200MHz on the ram... Yours must not be overclocked... Right now I am at 2.35GHz on the CPU and 235.0MHz on the RAM and it all tested out on Prime95 for more then 10hrs fine.. Never crashed. Once I got to 2.40GHz on the CPU is when I started having problems... Found the sweet spot at 2.35GHz. I noticed that if I upped the volts going to the CPU the test would run longer, but cpu would get hot, and I believe that is what was making it crash. I am looking at ordering a Zalman Heatsink and that should help..

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

well another thing i could ask you is, are you running a x86 version of windows or a x64? cuz if you're running a 64-bit processor in a 32-bit windows, its not gonna run at even half of its capability. if you are running 32-bit, i'd suggest trying an upgrade to a 64-bit version and i bet your computer will run almost twice as fast without the need for anymore overclocking

16321145278.jpg

well another thing i could ask you is, are you running a x86 version of windows or a x64? cuz if you're running a 64-bit processor in a 32-bit windows, its not gonna run at even half of its capability. if you are running 32-bit, i'd suggest trying an upgrade to a 64-bit version and i bet your computer will run almost twice as fast without the need for anymore overclocking

I have been told that Windows 64-Bit is extremely unstable...

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

Dude, my ram (yours should be too) is stock at 200MHz on the ram... Yours must not be overclocked... Right now I am at 2.35GHz on the CPU and 235.0MHz on the RAM and it all tested out on Prime95 for more then 10hrs fine.. Never crashed. Once I got to 2.40GHz on the CPU is when I started having problems... Found the sweet spot at 2.35GHz. I noticed that if I upped the volts going to the CPU the test would run longer, but cpu would get hot, and I believe that is what was making it crash. I am looking at ordering a Zalman Heatsink and that should help..

Lets try to clean things up a little bit here chaos

1- correct pc3200 is 400mhz ram, which stock timings are 200mhz per stick.

2- your ram can clock higher then that 200mhz per stick (which dizzle already noticed)

3- swapping out a new mobo and ddr2 ram replacing the old stuff is not the problem.

Now dizzle, your running your ram at a high clock. A big congrats for getting it to prime95 for 10 hours, sometimes that is a job and a half alone.

Your ram is running at 235 a stick, which rusults in ddr 470 vs 400. A big improvement :)

Now here comes the bummer. You might be at the max for your ram. When you overclock your cpu, it will overclock your ram too.

So a couple things Id try doing is

1- lower yours ram divider may allow you to oc the cpu farther.

2- Increase your ram voltage. Im giving my corsair xms pro 2.9volts.

3- Try to loosen your ram timmings a bit, that could be another reason for crashing.

4- Whats your htt set at? You should try to keep your htt between 800-1200 if I remember right. Or its 900-1100. Someplace in there it is.

Congrats again on the prime95 :lol: