Second Skin Audio

ported clamshell help/build

irpirate

birch it is!

so i just went out and measured my car again. this is literally the biggest the box is gonna get..37.5 width x 33 height x 52 depth. gonna be a ridiculously tight squeeze but thats the size ill be building this weekend. this leaves me room for the amps and batteries in the back. assuming .75 thickness wood the port is 36 inches long. if i do 7 inches wide thatll give me 252 port area. now for figuring out tuning and how far wide to make the tapered clam part. i cant do too much of angle because 4runners have a shitty design that only give me 33 height. subs are 12 3/8" wide. mounting depth is 6 7/16th. any suggestions on how far apart to leave the subs? its gonna be a tightttt ass fit :/ gonna be a longgg asssss clam haha. defintely gonna drop my tuning alot more than colins. this is where i was struggling last night. tweaking with lengths and angles all on paper T_T any one with a program to do this wanna help me out? possibly out of the goodness of your heart and the love for clams do a sketchup? <3

thanks all

*edit - google sketchup is still kicking my ass. only program i have is torres and i cant use that unless i know the internal volume which would require knowing angles/ having a sketchup :/ im off to do some tutorials on it. please help me out still :drinks:

*edit number 二 workn on it, slowly but surely. im just doing one straight piece for tapered sides cuz 1 R n00bz @ g00gl3 sk3tch. if someone wants ta do angled ones feel free to ^_^

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

I have never done Sketchup. Sorry, can't help you on that one. I used to design my boxes in CAD but I got tired of that. Plus, when stuff is tight- the littlest of things can throw stuff all off. I say fit them in as close as you can- making sure you have room for bracing. You may not need to go 2 and 3 layers thick with the wood if you do enough bracing on the long expanses. As you know- box flex, vibrations and resonances are bad. :ehh:

So, the external volume will be about 38 cubic feet, huh? You will be around more than half of that by the time you get the angles figured out, bracing and sub displacement. I sense @1.25 cubes per sub. That thing will own on air movement- low tune and displacement FTW! With that box depth, I don't think you will not really have to worry about having too large of a terminus making the tune too high. If the planets align just right, you will have a box that does the low lows, has tremendous subwoofer control, and high power handling capacity. I get the feeling your box will be more like a tapped horn or even close to that voo-doo called Quarter wave box design. B) If we all yell for BOON loud enough, maybe he will hear? :rofl:

Don't be discouraged- I believe that this will be a sub-bass monster, capable of summoning elephants, whales, and possibly even the Kraken!

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

ill literally build this box 15 times if i have to... im dead set on this being my long term setup. lol, i read on that quarter wave stuff that forvrbumpin or something wrote. interesting stuff. if mine ends up being like that, thatd would be absolutely insane. almost done with the sketch i think.

Lets all start yellling then....

BOOOOOOOOONNNNNN HELLLLPPP MEEEEEEEE :yahoo:

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

Don't be discouraged- I believe that this will be a sub-bass monster, capable of summoning elephants, whales, and possibly even the Kraken!

one can only hope....

hopefully itll be able to do what you described :) turn my car into sucha sexy daily driver.

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

ok so here it is.

148122_1534127951383_1180320105_31268992_1767417_n.jpg

outer dimensions 52 depth 37.5 width 33 height.

front of box is 7 inches vertical before the tapering starts.

very end of tapered section is 7 inches tall. would make port 36 x 7 = 252 port area

end of tapered to back wall will be 3.5 inches

ports will continue on both sides.

forgot to account for wood thickness lol. but this is just a quick idea

question - would it be better to do it like this or have the tapered section shorter and then have a port that doesnt split into two sides?

thanks!!!!! im getting anxious again !!!! ahhghghhghgh i wanna build a box!!!!

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

im doing everything :good:

quick question, will the 3.5 inches from end of tapered part to back wall be too small? and if so how big should i make it? thanks!

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

ok so its kinda the same thing...but this seems like what im probably gonna do barring someone helping me improve it :)

73397_1534150311942_1180320105_31269005_6321034_n.jpg

the length of the each angled clam thing is gonna be around 42. which is just enough to fit 3 rows of subs. end of tapering to back wall will be around 12. port again is 7x36 giving 252 port area. front is still 7 inches vertically before clam starts. may need to mount as close to back as possible or use spacers cuz bottom of the front row of subs will probably be too close to the wall. still need to figure out how to do thickness on this thing. without any displacement (wood port bracing subs) volume without the tapered area is 29.08.

*edit - lemme know wucha guys think

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

gaahhhhh, so i had just gotten back from the gym when i started working on this. havent drank water. both legs just cramped from dehydration and sitting too long.. alrite, break time. cigarette and soda run!!! long night of more researching ahead of me :clapping:

hiiiiiiii
1994 astro - more stuffz

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

UBL - clicky

Archived