Second Skin Audio

Wiring Woofers

stang_01

I hope this is not a stupid question. Do you you have to use both voice coils on a a subwoofer? For example two Memphis Mojos ther are dual 2 ohm. Could I just use one side so that way I could get hem down to a 1 ohm load? Thank you

yes it is imperative that u use both VC's it will damage ur sub sumthin awful if u use just one

trust me dont try it u will regret it

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

basically wut it does is cut the power able to be taken in half. and most times one coil cannot push the speaker effectively and will burn up the coil and then u have no sub at all

it just isnt smart. if u want a one ohm load try and find a one ohm dvc or a 4 ohm dvc

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

It does not hurt to run just one voice coil on a sub...It does cut in half the power handling and it will change the theile/smalls parameters but you shouldnt hurt the sub...

What amp are you running op? it might be able to handle .5 and then you can use all 4 vc's

xa-1.gif

i disagree major, everything i have read on dvc's says to never run just one at a time

just think about it, the subs were designed to have to vc' pushing the cone. this allows them to make the suspension stronger and one vc wasnt designed to move that cone.

plus the natural magnet vs. electro-magnet would be all outa whack. basically it would be pulling harder than it could push which could to the vc pushin but the cone not movin. and as natural humans we would trun the amp up until we got the sub to move and by that time there will be way too much power goin through the one vc *rant*

anyway trez0r wut u want to do is have a 1 ohm load so u can get more power to the sub. however by only using one voice coil u cut the amount of power the sub can take in half. so by using one vc u will have more power going to the sub but u will no longer have a sub to handle that new found power. basically wut u want to do is kinda pointless and will lead to more agony than happiness. my advice is to just run the thing at what u can (2 ohm or four ohm) and live with it or get different coil configs for the subs

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build