Sonic Electronix

Hey guys, I bought a new set of Rockford R152-s speakers, I installed them in the car and ran them off the HU for about 2 weeks, then I installed a Majestic amp MA9400SW, this amp puts out ~ 75 RMS where the speakers say they take 40, from everything I have read if I set the gains correctly I should have no problems.

I put the gains on the lowest setting and ran the speakers fine for about 1 week, now in the driver door I hear something that sounds to me (total novice) like a blown speaker, it is somewhat of a tapping noise. When researching the problem I read that it might be over-excursion, and because I am pushing double the RMS through the speakers I thought that I had found my problem, the issue I run into then is the fact that the speakers made the noise at 14 volume on my HU (pioneer AVH-P5000DVD) which goes to 40, so I figured I was not driving them to over excursion at that volume.

Frustrated and confused I pulled off my door panel and played some music to figure out where the noise was coming from exactly. I will try to describe this to the best of my ability so that the pics make more sense. It appears that the glue that holds the front part of the speaker to the red felt piece that is behind it has come unglued, and the front part is slapping against the hard glue and producing the noise that has been scaring me into thinking my new speakers were ruined because of a bad install. If I put my finger in through the back of the speaker (basket?) and put a slight amount of pressure on the front portion of the speaker from behind the noise goes away.

My question is, what kind of glue should I use to repair this, the speakers were bought through ebay so RF is not going to warranty them.

A picture is worth 1k words, so here are 4 pics of the speakers:

Front

dsc06394pg.jpg

Back

dsc06395p.jpg

Hopefully visible glue line pic (the glue in question is right where the red meets the black)

dsc06400g.jpg

Me pushing on the back of the speaker (this causes the noise to go away - I notice that the glue is stuck to the red fabric and not the front part of the speaker)

dsc06403m.jpg

I am very sorry for the lack of technical terms as far as the speaker goes, I do not know what the parts I am referring to are called, I have provided as much information as I have thought of, if you need anything else I am armed with a camera!

Ca glue would work, what they use on subs.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

the cone came apart from the spider ca glue is best if you have to gorilla glue works i used it on a sub that had the same problem and it worked great

Lol, I googled it and realized that CA glue is super glue, Thanks guys, I glued it up and let it set for a bit and the sound is now gone :D

im honestly not sure the sub i had that had the same problem came shipped like that so im not sure if some how in the shipping or what and rf is good stuff but anything man made can fail lol also how is your gain set on you amp thats running the rfs

head unit - pioneer DEH-P5100UB

subwoofer - nothing

speakers - powerbass components

amp - nothing

hoe.png

It was set probably a quarter of a turn from the lowest setting (I wish I could remember the numbers on the dial, I want to say it said either 600 mv or ma) I will look when I get out of class and let you know.

Lol@ my messy ass desk, i just looked at that picture again, I need to remove those now that the problem is solved ><

Archived