MDWSTBoom Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 Ok so I have 2 american bass dx 15's 1 of the speakers is rattling bad at high volume it takes a minute to start, I've checked the spider and cone and leads all look ok I'm thinking its the voice coil. So can I repair it (replace the coil) or is the sub screwed? Never worked on a speaker before so I don't really know anything about this I just can't afford new subs right now with x-mas and all. any help is greatly appreciated. Alpine 9886 Rockford mids and highs MBQUART 4.125 2 xfl 15's 2 TRX2000.1's Optima up front,Knetic 2400 in back
Jbabycsx Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 Ok so I have 2 american bass dx 15's 1 of the speakers is rattling bad at high volume it takes a minute to start, I've checked the spider and cone and leads all look ok I'm thinking its the voice coil. So can I repair it (replace the coil) or is the sub screwed? Never worked on a speaker before so I don't really know anything about this I just can't afford new subs right now with x-mas and all. any help is greatly appreciated. How much is the sub new? 2000 GMC Sonoma AQ20 FTMFW! 4 DC XL 15's Cadence ZRS-C9 Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's Bravox 6.5 components
Loudcivic Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 could you take a video and post it up. that would help so we could hear the sound. did you check the dust cap to see if its coming un glued. make sure no screws are broke i have broke some before and thought the sub was blown back in the day lol. 2015 silverado crew cab nothing atm but soon...
nCOMP1337 Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 woudlnt the coil smell if that was the issue, coil smell is quite distinct, so i would think that would be noticeable
skittlesRgood Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 woudlnt the coil smell if that was the issue, coil smell is quite distinct, so i would think that would be noticeable not if the sub is bottoming out. what does it sound like? some one beating on a coffee can? when you push on the sub does it make any weird noise? is it something you can hear while driving or just if your next to the sub? does it only happen on lower notes? If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood. Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/ Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.
MDWSTBoom Posted November 30, 2010 Author Report Posted November 30, 2010 woudlnt the coil smell if that was the issue, coil smell is quite distinct, so i would think that would be noticeable not if the sub is bottoming out. what does it sound like? some one beating on a coffee can? when you push on the sub does it make any weird noise? is it something you can hear while driving or just if your next to the sub? does it only happen on lower notes? I think your hitting the closest ya sounds like someone's banging a coffee can! It doesn't actually sound like that on the real lows its really loud on oj juicman boomin and bunkin. The sub doesn't make the scratchy sound when I push it in and the coil isn't blown I know what that smell is. The sub is still real stiff also. I saw a thread a while back where a guy had pretty much the same issue and someone had said the coil might be unwinding from the former and I didn't know if that might be my issue? Alpine 9886 Rockford mids and highs MBQUART 4.125 2 xfl 15's 2 TRX2000.1's Optima up front,Knetic 2400 in back
skittlesRgood Posted November 30, 2010 Report Posted November 30, 2010 nah, sounds like your bottoming out. might be a box issue. what sub, amp and box specs? pics of box would be helpful too. if its a prefab box then it may not be sealed around the edges and letting a lot of pressure out. but thats just a guess, give us the info and pics if you can. in the meantime, dont turn it up loud enough to make the noise, it WILL destroy the sub. If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood. Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/ Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.