Sonic Electronix

was getting groceries, with curb side parking.

helped the kid cause I'm not lazy and noticed the sub flexing in sync with the idle of the car - you know the idle that goes a little bit under RPM's and the lights dim?

I'm thinking this is probably a battery or alternator issue but not sure.

The head unit was in AUX mode (for 3.5mm on the front panel).

the 3.5mm cord was out a little bit (it's an A/V input and don't have a correct cord for it/not sure they make it)

I'm not sure if the other end of the cord was touching anything though.

Any suggestions for further testing/advice appreciated.

Sub hits hard at 38-40 out of 40 on head unit, phone set to 12 out of 14 volume. I notice some distortion in the 2-ways in the dash/doors on some songs maxed out but the sub sounds fine.

Sub settings are: punch EQ all the way down, gain at half

hardware in signature

i suck men dry...email me for details

well im gonna say for starters that your playing music with your headunit 40 out of 40 you are most likely clipping the shit out of your subs. check your grounds and make sure everything is tight. i have had some issues with rca's doing similar things like this so check them out and quit maxing out your volume and do some more reading on the forums to adjust your system so you dont fry your shit. im gonna say you probably have your gain maxed out to

Edited by Loudcivic

2015 silverado crew cab

nothing atm but soon...

well im gonna say for starters that your playing music with your headunit 40 out of 40 you are most likely clipping the shit out of your subs. check your grounds and make sure everything is tight. i have had some issues with rca's doing similar things like this so check them out and quit maxing out your volume and do some more reading on the forums to adjust your system so you dont fry your shit. im gonna say you probably have your gain maxed out to

lol no dude I just said my gain is at half and the bass boost is off

I did this so that it doesn't over power the highs...I don't want ghetto bass.

Also the phone is at 12/14 so it's never really maxed out.

The 2-ways can take the 40/40 95% of the time...

The power is ran next to the RCA's.....would that do it? I don't hear any interference at all like I did when I ran speaker wire next to the power wire for the dash 2-ways

You said it was set to aux and the cord was partway out?

That may be your problem. Does it still do it with the cord unplugged or plugged all the way in?

I'm gonna go look right now.

It's hard to explain if you have never seen an AV cable before (it has 3 rings instead of just 1 or 2 for an audio cable)

It only sounds correct if I stick it out a little bit.

Edit: moved the car (needed to anyway)

Parked it, took the cord out, still in aux mode, lights all off except 4 (30 or so total) SMD's (type of LED) for the interior which don't affect the wiring in any way because of the low power consumption.

Before, the headlights were on, which might have been stressing the battery.

Anyways, I took the cable out, turned the volume to 40 (with a little bit of noticeable static) and even back to 10 - both did nothing to the sub.

Then I hit the brakes and the sub bottomed out.......wtf?

Edited by casemods

Im not 100% sure but im gonna guess that you have a pretty decent short somewhere.

Edit: prolly around the trunk area since its with the brake lights. did it do it more than once?

Edited by bcpballer64

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Im not 100% sure but im gonna guess that you have a pretty decent short somewhere.

Edit: prolly around the trunk area since its with the brake lights. did it do it more than once?

It did it every time I hit the brakes, every time was the same

Edit: also, when music is playing at any volume, and I hit the brakes, the amp will cut out for a second.

Also, when I turn the volume to 0, I notice a sharp clicking noise from the sub, and when I turn the car off, it sounds like the sub is being scratched for a brief second.

Edited by casemods

It did it every time I hit the brakes, every time was the same

Edit: also, when music is playing at any volume, and I hit the brakes, the amp will cut out for a second.

Also, when I turn the volume to 0, I notice a sharp clicking noise from the sub, and when I turn the car off, it sounds like the sub is being scratched for a brief second.

Definatley sounds like something somewhere is shorted out, maybe a pinched wire, a really shitty ground, maybe insulation worn off of a wire somewhere. idk for sure but that is my guess anyways.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

We really can't help you if you're already doing things wrong... Finding out what is wrong with that input is the first thing you should have done.

What input? I just told you that it's not the head input because I unplugged it and it was still flexing from the battery.

Basically:

Lights on, car running = slight sub flex in tune with the idle RPM's

Lights off = sub bottoms out when I press the brakes

driving with or without lights on = amp turns off for a second or 2 when I hit the brakes