VW Golf Mk3 1996 Build From England

Yeah I'm pretty sure I know what your talking about.

The build looks great tho!

Wheres my note pad, ill make a list. :ehh:

Uh-oh - concerns, I'm running for SOTM!!!

PS - EclipseChris - I love your build but I think you show why you shouldn't have your username as your car!! - Change yours to TercelChris!!

Daniel Brill-Edwards - Representing English Bassheads!!

Old Build Log - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/94637-vw-golf-mk3-1996-build-from-england/

New build coming soon with SMD V1 #99

YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/brilledwards

Heres what i can remember, the ground on the battery up front... not very good. You should run the wire to the strut mount, wire wheeled and tightened real well like you keep doing. Also you need a wire from the engine to the neg terminal, both engine and body need to be grounded. With that said, there is going to be a wire that goes from the engine to the body, from the factory this wire is very small and with the audio system in there that wire may fry.

Those breakers that you used are meant for 400v AC, not 12v DC like your car has. I recommend taking them out and getting actual fuses.

The way that you uses so many different sizes of wire may be a problem in most systems, but it looks like you got it pretty much right.

The ground for your amp is adequate at best. It looks like the thinnest sheet metal you could find, and if anything pulls on it then thats a nice fire hazard. I hope you can run a wire to the rear shock mount just like you should the front.

Thats what i got off the top of my head. If you have any questions lemme know.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

Uh-oh - concerns, I'm running for SOTM!!!

PS - EclipseChris - I love your build but I think you show why you shouldn't have your username as your car!! - Change yours to TercelChris!!

My name was tercelchris, back when i had it :lol:

Now i have an eclipse, hence the name. Check out the eclipse build, its in my sig. It looks much better and should have a HUGE upgrade sometime soon. :peepwall: :peepwall: :peepwall:

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

Heres what i can remember, the ground on the battery up front... not very good. You should run the wire to the strut mount, wire wheeled and tightened real well like you keep doing. Also you need a wire from the engine to the neg terminal, both engine and body need to be grounded. With that said, there is going to be a wire that goes from the engine to the body, from the factory this wire is very small and with the audio system in there that wire may fry.

Those breakers that you used are meant for 400v AC, not 12v DC like your car has. I recommend taking them out and getting actual fuses.

The way that you uses so many different sizes of wire may be a problem in most systems, but it looks like you got it pretty much right.

The ground for your amp is adequate at best. It looks like the thinnest sheet metal you could find, and if anything pulls on it then thats a nice fire hazard. I hope you can run a wire to the rear shock mount just like you should the front.

Thats what i got off the top of my head. If you have any questions lemme know.

Thanks for the feedback.

Several people have mentioned a concern with the breakers and I will be looking into swapping it when I get back home from uni. I used 1/0 wire because I was given it for free - remember the system is 600W max so it is really overkill. The stock grounding wire from engine to chassis is more than 8 gauge so its fine overall. Realistically I could have used 8 gauge wire everywhere. The ground in the rear is in a seat support and is pretty strong. I don't see how anything could pull on it and even if it did break an M8 bolt all it would to is touch other metal which would be grounding it again.

Old Build Log - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/94637-vw-golf-mk3-1996-build-from-england/

Thanks for the feedback.

Several people have mentioned a concern with the breakers and I will be looking into swapping it when I get back home from uni. I used 1/0 wire because I was given it for free - remember the system is 600W max so it is really overkill. The stock grounding wire from engine to chassis is more than 8 gauge so its fine overall. Realistically I could have used 8 gauge wire everywhere. The ground in the rear is in a seat support and is pretty strong. I don't see how anything could pull on it and even if it did break an M8 bolt all it would to is touch other metal which would be grounding it again.

First, ya should never go by the ratings on amplifiers, if they are good amps then they are underrated... if they are bad they are overrated. I thought it was a 800w monoblock and it looks like it has 1/0 power and ground. Amps have certain size inputs and outputs for a reason.

As for that ground, im on your side, that bolt isn't going to break. But when it gets pulled out of that sheet metal then youll have a problem. And when its rolling around hitting other metal yes it is grounding, but its also going to be sparking near all your carpet and wood.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

Thanks for the feedback.

First, ya should never go by the ratings on amplifiers, if they are good amps then they are underrated... if they are bad they are overrated. I thought it was a 800w monoblock and it looks like it has 1/0 power and ground. Amps have certain size inputs and outputs for a reason.

As for that ground, im on your side, that bolt isn't going to break. But when it gets pulled out of that sheet metal then youll have a problem. And when its rolling around hitting other metal yes it is grounding, but its also going to be sparking near all your carpet and wood.

Yes it is an 800W monoblock but thats into 1ohm. The sub is dual 4ohm wired down to 2ohm and the amp is rated at 600W at 2ohm. Also I used 4 gauge wire for the amp input. The only way the grounding wire would get pulled out is if the battery rack was to pull it very hard. The batteries are trapped in the triangle between the 50kg box and the back of the seat. The actual bolt is safe under the seat and sealed off :)

Yes it is an 800W monoblock but thats into 1ohm. The sub is dual 4ohm wired down to 2ohm and the amp is rated at 600W at 2ohm. Also I used 4 gauge wire for the amp input. The only way the grounding wire would get pulled out is if the battery rack was to pull it very hard. The batteries are trapped in the triangle between the 50kg box and the back of the seat. The actual bolt is safe under the seat and sealed off :)

Haha alright, its your car man. :drinks:

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

Archived