Sundown Audio

Crossover Freq. Question

kevinb721

hey guys...quick question,

I have a 12" Q in a custom ported box...2.5cf @ 32hz. Its being pushed by a t10001bd. On this amp, what should the crossover freq. be set at? I have it set low, but i was just wondering if this is the right way to go, or should i set it higher...thanks guys.

12" fi q

rf t10001

naw mean

hey guys...quick question,

I have a 12" Q in a custom ported box...2.5cf @ 32hz. Its being pushed by a t10001bd. On this amp, what should the crossover freq. be set at? I have it set low, but i was just wondering if this is the right way to go, or should i set it higher...thanks guys.

That is going to vary depending on your preferences. The crossover should not allow your amplifier to reproduce frequencies above where your low pass filter is set. If you set it low, you are going to be missing out on any notes above that.

BJJ20logo20resize.png

yeah it hits the lows real good, but im missing some of the higher bass notes. it kinda sucks on some of the songs i used to listen to, but im afraid if i set it too high then it might get rid of some of the lower notes :(

If you set your low pass filter higher, the lower notes should still get through. Is that what you are talking about, or are you talking about your center frequency?

BJJ20logo20resize.png

well the center freq. knob i was gunna ask about too....but im talking about the one on the amp...it says um crossover freq and it goes from 32hz to like 250 hz... and a bunch of number in between. what should that be set at? and what should the center freq. knob on the remote be set at?

Edited by kevinb721

12" fi q

rf t10001

naw mean

i think i have my low pass filter set at 80hz.

The New - 2002 Acura Rsx (work in progress)Eclipse AVN7000Eclipse 4 Channel4 Polk Audio Db 6.5 (soon to be changed)T500.1Punch 3 15"- The (old) System - 94 GMC Sonoma Ext. CabH/U - Pioneer Avic D3Eclipse 4 Channel Amp2 MB Quart DUA 216 6.5 components2 Polk Momo 4x10s1 RF Power T5001bd2 RF P315D4's 5 cubes net @ 35hzPowermaster D1200 Battery

well the center freq. knob i was gunna ask about too....but im talking about the one on the amp...it says um crossover freq and it goes from 32hz to like 250 hz... and a bunch of number in between. what should that be set at? and what should the center freq. knob on the remote be set at?

Unfortunately, there are no magic numbers that anyone could just tell you. On the crossover knob, setting it higher will not knock out lower frequencies. However, setting it too high may have your subwoofer reproducing notes higher than you want your subs playing, and thus wasting current on something you don't want. I believe that RF has a simple explanation in the owners manual for your amp. It should be the same as the one for my amps (I have 3 of the T30001bds). The center frequency is where you are going to get a specific bass boost. Think of this like if you were to hit someone. What ever frequency you set is right where the fist would make impact. The injury will extend beyond just that specific part of the surface as the damage will "radiate" from that area somewhat, but the most damage will be done to the specific contact point.. I hope that makes some sense.

BJJ20logo20resize.png

Sub frequencies are 60hz and below. Setting the dial higher will make your subs sound more punchy. Also depends on the slope per octave the crossover is removing the signal at ie. 12db,24db etc. Basiclly this is a personal preference. I usually start @ the low end and turn the dial up slow during various types music to find the blend I enjoy best

ascendant.jpglogo.jpgteamsundown-1.jpgDCPowerLogoTransparent2.png