Second Skin Audio

help designing a box to do hairtricks

i have an 07 tacoma access cab and 4 12" hifonic hfi12d4 subs right now and a crappy hitron amp. the box i built for it is around 9.5ft^3 and tuned to around 35hz. i am going to be building a new glass box soon and plan to have the subs firing up and port firing forward and the port will be at the top of the box in between the seats. im hoping to have this box around 10ft^3 after displacement or larger and my question is what should i tune it to for the best chance of doing hairtricks? once i have enough money i plan to run 4 sa 12's and 2 audioque AQ2200D amps.

thanks in advance

You wont be able to do hair tricks with 4 hifi's not enough cone area, nor enough xmax.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

i was kinda thinking that i didnt have enough power with this equipment. and i was hoping that with the right box i would be able to. so do u think that with the sa's i will be able to?

what should i tune it too, maybe around 27-30hz?

You wont be able to do hair tricks with 4 hifi's not enough cone area, nor enough xmax.

4 12s is PLENTY of cone area dude.

Black 2008.5 Mazda 3s Touring 5 Speed Hatchback

Tinted tails/turn indicators, blacked out emblems, partially debadged, 20% tint all around,

Big 3 in Knu KLMX 1/0, LED footwells/interior lights

DECK: Kenwood DDX-512 double DIN touchscreen with backup camera

FRONT STAGE: Stock for now, yippy (Looking for something nice...)

FRONT STAGE AMP: Looking for something nice...

SUB: 15 inch DC level 4 with level 5 coil upgrade, red dustcap

SUB AMP: Audiopipe AP15001D at 1 ohm

WIRING: All Knukoncepts Kolossus/KCA wire

LEGAL TERMLAB SCORE: 135.8db at 42hz(pathetic, I know. I need a battery in the back,

dropping to 11.9v isnt cutting it.....)

I haz teh Term-Lab. PM me if you are close and want to get metered.

lol, thanks micah....

But seriously, 4 12s is easily enough to get crazy air moving, just dont expect those hfis to do very well. I did a pair of them in 4 cubes tuned to 33hz and they bottomed out on about 250 rms a piece. they didnt sound very great either, but I guess thats to be expected from 30 dollar speakers. I would do 2 better 15s than 4 low level 12s. Something like AQ SDC2.5 15s should move good, or perhaps dc level 3 15s? It really depends what you wanna spend. you could jump up to Fi SSD 15s for not too much more, and they should BANG. Thats just my recommendation.

Edited by micah_jones

Tinted tails/turn indicators, blacked out emblems, partially debadged, 20% tint all around,

LEGAL TERMLAB SCORE: 135.8db at 42hz(pathetic, I know. I need a battery in the back,

i have seen people do hairtricks with 4 12s in ext cab trucks before so i know it can be done. im just not sure about the best tuning frequency for it to do that and hit the lows really good. im not really looking for numbers here

lol, thanks micah....

But seriously, 4 12s is easily enough to get crazy air moving, just dont expect those hfis to do very well. I did a pair of them in 4 cubes tuned to 33hz and they bottomed out on about 250 rms a piece. they didnt sound very great either, but I guess thats to be expected from 30 dollar speakers. I would do 2 better 15s than 4 low level 12s. Something like AQ SDC2.5 15s should move good, or perhaps dc level 3 15s? Thats just my recommendation.

thanks for the suggestion. i want to stick with the 12's just bc of my plans to run the sa 12's once i have the cash for them. your right about them not sounding the best but they still do a great job considering the price

lol, thanks micah....

But seriously, 4 12s is easily enough to get crazy air moving, just dont expect those hfis to do very well. I did a pair of them in 4 cubes tuned to 33hz and they bottomed out on about 250 rms a piece. they didnt sound very great either, but I guess thats to be expected from 30 dollar speakers. I would do 2 better 15s than 4 low level 12s. Something like AQ SDC2.5 15s should move good, or perhaps dc level 3 15s? Thats just my recommendation.

thanks for the suggestion. i want to stick with the 12's just bc of my plans to run the sa 12's once i have the cash for them. your right about them not sounding the best but they still do a great job considering the price

Like I said, I would do 2 better 15s than 4 lower level 12s, but that is just my opinion. You could do some cheap cheap 15s just to have some beat. Something like these http://www.amazon.com/Lanzar-MAXP154D-2000-Watt-Small-Enclosure-Subwoofer/dp/B000O3XT4W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292366521&sr=8-2

I doubt they would sound any worse than the hfis, and that way when you wanna upgrade, instead of dropping 6-700 on 4 sa12s, you could do something like 2 dc XL15s, or Nightshade 15s or something like that. I personally would take 2 nightshade 15s over 4 SA12s. Once again, just my 2 cents ;)

lol, thanks micah....

Like I said, I would do 2 better 15s than 4 lower level 12s, but that is just my opinion. You could do some cheap cheap 15s just to have some beat. Something like these http://www.amazon.com/Lanzar-MAXP154D-2000-Watt-Small-Enclosure-Subwoofer/dp/B000O3XT4W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292366521&sr=8-2

I doubt they would sound any worse than the hfis, and that way when you wanna upgrade, instead of dropping 6-700 on 4 sa12s, you could do something like 2 dc XL15s, or Nightshade 15s or something like that. I personally would take 2 nightshade 15s over 4 SA12s. Once again, just my 2 cents ;)

well with 4 12's i would have more cone area than 2 15's and i would think a better chance to push more air, correct? that is something for me to consider though