Sonic Electronix

ok i know Kranny already said to just use all the yellow wires, but what are the different "rails" for. im not familure with how the power supply works exactly. i just plug it in lol.

What is with you people and using PSUs with 3.3v, 5v and -12v rails? You only need one with 12v rails, not the extra ones that would be used in a computer. Besides, I think that the PSUs work at their best when the either the 3.3v or 5v rails have a load on then, I can't remember which one it is.

A PSU with only 12v outputs may cost more, but it will work better, and won't be as much of a pain to wire up.

uhh...just use the freaking yellow wires. +12v. nuff said.

If the available output is more when the other rail is under load, then it kinda does matter.

Also, most of the time a person will buy a 200watt PSU for their 200watt amp. Most of the time the 200watts that the PSU can do is the total for all the rails. If you haven't noticed, the 3.3v and 5v rails can supply just as much current as the 12v rails, making the PSU even less appropriate for the said amp.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

hal.dll is the dll support file found in many types of Windows operating systems. The hal.dll file plays an important role for the programs which require hal.dll in order to function properly.

:lol: WTF?

Piss off if you will just be spamming.

ok i know Kranny already said to just use all the yellow wires, but what are the different "rails" for. im not familure with how the power supply works exactly. i just plug it in lol.

5v is for USB and various circuits with 5v ICs. Including circuits in CD drives and HDDs.

3.3v is for the CPU (I think?) and various other low voltage circuits like that.

-12v, heck knows, probably for audio circuits, like a amp will have identical positive and negative rails.

-5v, same reason as the -12v I guess.

12v is for the pretty much everything that needs it, graphics cards, CD drives, HDDs, various 12v circuits, fans.

^don't take any of my stuff as fact. Haha

May I suggest these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_rail

Edited by bassl0va

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

oh ok so i would be using all of the rails to get the full potential or just the 12v?

oh ok so i would be using all of the rails to get the full potential or just the 12v?

Not unless you are powering a PC with it ;) . I think that they work at their best when all the rails have a load on them, but if you have a PSU with enough headroom, it really shouldn't matter. So just use the 12v

ok. thanks a lot. this helped me a lot. i will try to look into some power supplies tomorrow in between work and ill post them on here and if you or anyone could let me know if they would work for my needs that would be awesome. thanks again

ok. thanks a lot. this helped me a lot. i will try to look into some power supplies tomorrow in between work and ill post them on here and if you or anyone could let me know if they would work for my needs that would be awesome. thanks again

Cool, your welcome :)

ok finally got time to look at some psu. i found this regular power supply that has 10a and is like 10 bucks more. would this one work?

http://www.frys.com/product/1975145?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

ok finally got time to look at some psu. i found this regular power supply that has 10a and is like 10 bucks more. would this one work?

http://www.frys.com/product/1975145?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Yep, that should be fine for a head unit only.

the head unit and to power the 4 speakers? or just to look at the pretty lights?