Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecityxignites

Subwoofer terminals

15 posts in this topic

I have a planet audio big bang 15 (bb15d), dual 4 ohm. It has two positives and two negatives on each side of the woofer, and I was wondering if anyone knew why.

It has 2 voice coils

I understand that, hence dual 4 ohm. However, 99% of the dvc woofers I see only have one positive and one negative per side.

It has 2 voice coils

I understand that, hence dual 4 ohm. However, 99% of the Svc woofers I see only have one positive and one negative .

there you go i changed it for you.

that and so you can change the resistance of the subwoofer hence dual 4 wire it in to paraell would make a 2 ohm final load..

That's what I was going to do. Im pretty sure I'm getting an aq1200d, but I wasn't sure if I could just use one positive and one negative on each side, or if I would have to use both because there's 8 total terminals

It has 2 voice coils

I understand that, hence dual 4 ohm. However, 99% of the Svc woofers I see only have one positive and one negative .

there you go i changed it for you.

that and so you can change the resistance of the subwoofer hence dual 4 wire it in to paraell would make a 2 ohm final load..

no he was right in what he was saying, i misunderstood it at first aswell

we all know that 99% of normal DVC woofers have 1+ and 1- on each side correct? thus making it like this....

+ -

- +

correct?

his are like this

+ +

- -

could be quad coil, could be dual coil, i know that back in the day, (like 12 years ago) when i was running audiobahn i had a 12" flameQ that had a setup like this, but it only had 2 positives and 2 negatives only on one side of the sub, but it was a single voice coil sub, the other terminals on the sub were for wiring other subs in parallell, so you could keep all the nasty looking wiring in the box, and only have to run 1 set of wires out of the box to the amp. i would do some seirous research on this sub befor hooking it up. trust me, one of the worst feelings in the world is hooking a sub up wrong and frying it.

given that from the pics, the sub only has a single set of tinsil leads, i think it's safe to assume it's not a quad coiled, add to the fact that the OP clearly states it's dual 4s...

audiobahn used to run similar terminals as well as several others, they are there purely to help you wire them in parallel, anyone who's tried to stuff 2 runs of decent sized cable into the single terminal will attest to it not being fun...

so basically you run you positive from the amp, into the positive on one side, then from the 2nd postive terminal on that side, into the opposite sides positive... then repeat for negative... at the end you should be left with 1 pos, and 1neg input on the sub empty...

this is assuming your wiring in parallel for a 2ohm load...