Mig Welding.

hahahha I am teaching myself how to mig weld right now, its not as easy some people make it out to be, Im getting alot of spatter so I assume, I am using to much voltage, I need a better eye protection for sure, I am using some cheapo goggles and they pretty much suck ass.

so can anyone give me some tips on how to lay a nice bead?, if I use a swirl motion like in ARC welding I get alot of spatter heh, and thats not to cool.

clean the shit out of the material u r welding. impurities cause alot of splatter. u still need to use a circular motion to get that "stack of dimes" weld. how thick material r u trying toweld and with what volt/amp welder u using? r u using gas or gas filled wire?

I believe its fluxcore, material = DynaFlow 4" steel pipe, sch 10 I believe, also tried some sch 40, I turned down the voltage ( it has 4 settings, 1,2,3,4. doesnt say exactly how much juice it is, wired feed is @ 30. the welder is a Hobart Handler 125, I just picked it up from meade, yeterday.

I did not clean the metal at all, hah its been yrs since I arch welded, couldnt remember if I should wire wheel the area to be welded or not, so I will try that next session, yea my last session I layed down a much better bead, not "dimes" so to speak but much closer heh

doesnt realy matter on flat work, the grinder makes it "look" clean heh.

You just have to go slow...I've been welding for a little over 10 years now, and when you're welding, there's no need to be in a huge hurry - Especially with a 115v MIG. I learned on an 220v arc like you probaly did, and my problem was slowing down, and keeping the wire speed right.. A good auto darkening helmet helps a ton too... And make sure your ground is as clean as the area being welded..

Edited by pstone11

Check out StoneSounds to see my recent builds.Or look at the Flying White Facebook Page!

yea, I have improved every time so far, its just gonna take more practice, I need a better eye protection, I thought the harbor frieght el_cheapo would work, heh its ok for 15 bucks.

kinda cool i saw this thread....i just started a job a month or so ago as a tool room guy at a pipe fabrication shop makin 11$ a hour....and im probably going to be moved to a tacker next week or week after.....its the hardest welding there is which is heliarc.....where you have the gun in one hand and you feed the rod in with the other.....ive been done flux core and the other kinds of welding for about 2 years so i thought i could get this down pretty quick.....it took me a little bit but ive pretty much got it down now, theres good money in this shit too, top pay at this shop im at is 23$ an hour for welders, top pay for tackers is 17$, so hopefully ill get bumped up a few dollars B)

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

yea, I have improved every time so far, its just gonna take more practice, I need a better eye protection, I thought the harbor frieght el_cheapo would work, heh its ok for 15 bucks.

Jackson and Speedglass helmets are the best I've ever owned (I have one of Each now (Got a pretty good Hookup)) It's amazing how much a good helmet and gloves help out.

Check out StoneSounds to see my recent builds.Or look at the Flying White Facebook Page!

actually harbor freight has a pretty decent auto dark helmet on the cheap (at least mine does). pstone is right about slowing down. also hook up some gas to that puppy and use solid wire. the gas help clean the material (u still have to wire wheel). remember there is no bad welders just bad grinders! (except for bad penetration!)

oh yea..i cant believe meade would screw u like that and sell u such a pice of shit! :lol: actually i have a hobart handler 175 amp 220 volt that i love! hobart is basically a miller. ive had mine for years and never had a problem. its done over 1/4 inch with ease and the price was great. although ill never use it without gas.

its not as hard as alot of ppl think. we do it all the time in autobody. u just gotta go slow make sure u have a CLEAN surface and make sure the wire is the proper thickness for the metal ur using. it takes practice. they had us practice all year and i can lay down some decent beads.