Sonic Electronix

I have a soundstream DTR amplifier, and with the way the feet work, if you mount it horizontally, it leaves about 1-2 cm between the amp and the wood it's mounted too. I cut out the square for the exhaust fan in the wood where the amp will be mounted above it, now the question is, should i point the fan down so it sucks air away from the amp, or should i face it toward the amp so it blows air over it? It is a tight space so i think the suction will have an affect..as well as blowing, will one work better than the other or does it matter?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

its the same thing either way. the air blowing out of the fan is the same volume as the air being sucked in. that is if its in an amp rack. if your just mounting a fan to move air over the amp then i would have it blow at it.

remember a fan needs to breathe. if it doesnt have the same open space and the surface area of the fan, in front and behind it, then you are choking the fan. so if a 3" fan only had 2cm in front of it... it wouldnt move much air.

can you post some pics of the setup? i can help you out on the best cooling option if i can see what you want done.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

its the same thing either way. the air blowing out of the fan is the same volume as the air being sucked in. that is if its in an amp rack. if your just mounting a fan to move air over the amp then i would have it blow at it.

remember a fan needs to breathe. if it doesnt have the same open space and the surface area of the fan, in front and behind it, then you are choking the fan. so if a 3" fan only had 2cm in front of it... it wouldnt move much air.

can you post some pics of the setup? i can help you out on the best cooling option if i can see what you want done.

The fan is actaully 2 cm plus an inch of wood away from the amp, i was out working on it just now and it was easier to drill holes through the wood the size of the fan, as opposed to mounting the whole fan into the wood, and theres plenty of room behind the fan, i think based on how the way the air is gonna flow, i'm gonna have it blowing on the amp. I can't find my charge for my camera battery or i'd show u the setup. thanks for the reply

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

but the inch of wood is just a tunnel correct? then the 2cm opening is still what i was talking about. but anyways, is the fan blowing at the bottom of the amp? because it wont do much there. air needs to flow over the heat sink. mostly over the sides where the MOSFETs are mounted. the center of the heat sink gets hot as well.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived