Sonic Electronix

Hi I have a few questions but mainly I was wondering since it's so worth it to make your own custom box that I might actually do so. Now I was wondering what exactly (materials) do I need to make a good one? Also, is 33 hertz the best tuning freq. for a daily sound system (with some extra bang) i'm not into competitions and stuff like that. Also, should I raise the bass on my HU or leave it alone? My subwoofer came with a diagram about it's specifications (qts, vas-cu.ft, xmas-in., min-max box vol. -cu.ft, vented box vol-cu.ft port dimensions-in.) should I just go with those numbers or is there a better way to do it? Forgot to add, it's a 12" subwoofer if that makes any difference, thank you.

Hi I have a few questions but mainly I was wondering since it's so worth it to make your own custom box that I might actually do so. Now I was wondering what exactly (materials) do I need to make a good one? Also, is 33 hertz the best tuning freq. for a daily sound system (with some extra bang) i'm not into competitions and stuff like that. Also, should I raise the bass on my HU or leave it alone? My subwoofer came with a diagram about it's specifications (qts, vas-cu.ft, xmas-in., min-max box vol. -cu.ft, vented box vol-cu.ft port dimensions-in.) should I just go with those numbers or is there a better way to do it? Forgot to add, it's a 12" subwoofer if that makes any difference, thank you.

The materials list is pretty easy. Get the MDF(wood), get a good wood glue, clamps, screws if you need them. The tuning of you enclosure depends on a lot of things. Different subs like different tuning. I would stick close to what the manufacturer recommends though. What 12 are you using?

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

YESS.. prefab boxes do most woofers no justice.. so making your own box you open up a world of opportunity for your sub.. you need wood of course.. MDF or Birch are the best to use.. Birch is stronger wood and a lighter wood some in your case unless your concerned about the weight of the box. also wood glue, a type of sealant for inside the box to make it air tight and screws or nail ur choice. bass on ur head unit.. ummm you can but mainly you dont wanna send a clipped signal to your amp or sub because it can damage and cause both to blow. and yes used the manufacture recommended spec for the size box for your sub..

he wouldnt be the first to say they did a 167 with a system like that (one that clearly DOESNT), but i have to say, he didnt beat me anywhere, ive never competed against the guy. If he thinks his does a 167, mine would probably put him in a coma. :hairtrick:

When asking advice its good to give info like, sub name, model and theAmp name, model

Bass on the HU is only needed if you are under powering your sub and even then its advised you leave it alone.

In (VERY) General

materials:

-MDF(1/2 or 3/4 inch for a single 12" would be enough)

-wood Glue

-Screws

-filler

-time

-Clamps (maybe)

Tools:

-Router/Jigsaw

-table/skill saw

-measuring tape

-square

-pencil

The tuning depends on the power, sub and preference to music

Edited by Spitfire2k6

Live life to the full... Then TURN THAT BITCH UP!

291nldv.png

What exactly is the filler I would need to get for the inside to make it airtight? I saw it in one of Meade's videos where he puts it in the corners but would I be able to find all of this stuff including that filler ( i forgot what its called i'm sure it starts with an R) at Home Depot? Also, my subwoofer is a 12" MD Sound 12175 800 watts rms 1800 max (pretty sure this is underrated). And how exactly would I use the measurements given on the spec sheet to know how big/small to cut each piece of MDF? It's a bunch of confusing numbers to me :S sorry this would be my first time building a box and I would like to do it right and about the tuning of the box I read that 33 hertz is the best for daily bumping is this correct?

NOTE: I am pretty certain my amp is not giving enough power to my sub so I will probably replace that when I get the money if this makes any difference.

Edited by KevinAmirkhanian

What exactly is the filler I would need to get for the inside to make it airtight? I saw it in one of Meade's videos where he puts it in the corners but would I be able to find all of this stuff including that filler ( i forgot what its called i'm sure it starts with an R) at Home Depot? Also, my subwoofer is a 12" MD Sound 12175 800 watts rms 1800 max (pretty sure this is underrated). And how exactly would I use the measurements given on the spec sheet to know how big/small to cut each piece of MDF? It's a bunch of confusing numbers to me :S sorry this would be my first time building a box and I would like to do it right and about the tuning of the box I read that 33 hertz is the best for daily bumping is this correct?

Meade uses resin as a filler i think but that can be expensive so i use Polyfilla, problem is i live in the UK so i have no idea if you can get it!

http://www.polycell....x_polyfilla.jsp

The Stuff i use...

Edited by Spitfire2k6

291nldv.png

I'll probably find something similar here in Cali at Home Depot but thanks i'll write that down Spitifre

No Problem mate :) also remember there are a lot of people on here that will help you with designing a box and cutsheet on the Subwoofers/Enclosures section

291nldv.png