Sonic Electronix

Hello there!

Well... I was just wondering on how to build a box. People say its easy once you know how too, but I completely have no idea. I'm not building one soon, but I will eventually. That's why I want to get a little head start on how to build it so I have time to research and such. So here it goes. I'm going to have 2 Sundown Audio SA-12's D4 running off an AQ2200D. I would like the box tuned to 32-33hz. Can anybody give me some BASIC information on how to tune a box? Or like, ANY kind of INFORMATION at all actually on box building in general. I was just going to get the dimensions and everything from you guys on this forum and take it to an audio place and have them build it, but I think I want to take the challenge to build my own.

For example, a few things I wouldn't mind learning would be:

How to tune a box?

Is there a certain kind of wood to use?

How thick should the wood be?

And a bunch more, but those are more detailed ones. I just want to learn the BASICS of box building.

Thank you.

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

-Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415

mdf is the most commonly used wood and its good for price and strength

.75 is the most common thickness i see, but it can be found in thicker formats or you can stack different sizes together (example: my local menards had .5 inch mdf on sale but none of the other sizes, so i could buy that and double layer everything to make 1 inch thick, if i wanted to)

tuning, i have no idea, im new to box building in general as well, but int he subwoofer/enclosure section on this forum there is a thread about torres box calculator and you can download a box calculator that may help you and give you some general info on things you need to know

mdf is the most commonly used wood and its good for price and strength

.75 is the most common thickness i see, but it can be found in thicker formats or you can stack different sizes together (example: my local menards had .5 inch mdf on sale but none of the other sizes, so i could buy that and double layer everything to make 1 inch thick, if i wanted to)

tuning, i have no idea, im new to box building in general as well, but int he subwoofer/enclosure section on this forum there is a thread about torres box calculator and you can download a box calculator that may help you and give you some general info on things you need to know

Well, at least your not as new as me. Does MDF stand for Medium density fiberboard? Or did I just totally get a wrong ass definition from Google. Hehe. :noob: And I'll for sure check out that thread. Thanks for the advice and everything.

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

yes it is medium density fiberboard

its basically compressed sawdust, because of the sawdust aspect, plus if money isnt much of an issue or they want to have a stronger box, some people get birch, which is roughly 2xthe prices of mdf

it is not limited to these types of woods but they are most common, ive seen people use hardwood, oak, particle board pb is (horrible in my opinion)

not as new as you, but experience wise im just as new as you

ive been here for over a year reading and learning, but never done anything myself yet

its basically compressed sawdust, because of the sawdust aspect, plus if money isnt much of an issue or they want to have a stronger box, some people get birch, which is roughly 2xthe prices of mdf

it is not limited to these types of woods but they are most common, ive seen people use hardwood, oak, particle board pb is (horrible in my opinion)

ive been here for over a year reading and learning, but never done anything myself yet

Yeah. We'll, time to follow your footsteps, and take my share of time here too and read as much as I can. I'll probably be getting to the ACTUAL box building in 6 months or so. So, might as well absorb as much as I can. :) Now, time to read about that tuning calc. thingie. Haha.

Anybody else have any advice? Greatly Appreciated.

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Yeah. We'll, time to follow your footsteps, and take my share of time here too and read as much as I can. I'll probably be getting to the ACTUAL box building in 6 months or so. So, might as well absorb as much as I can. :) Now, time to read about that tuning calc. thingie. Haha.

Anybody else have any advice? Greatly Appreciated.

thats a good attitude to have about it, ill most likely begin my build next month, granted i get all the supplies and find somewhere to build it and find the tools to use, lol

Read build logs, hang out and absorb as much as you can.

there's rules of thumb to designing good boxes and those can be found right here on this forum.

you really want to learn, then that's the best way so I'm not gonna say too much more. Good luck to ya!

I generally go a little large on cubic feet, my 15 is in 6ft^3. as for tuning, usually you want something like 13-16 square inches of port per cubic foot of box volume, so my box port is 9x9=81sq. in. and 14in.x6= 84sq. in. so im pretty much right on. this lets it breathe correctly, but tuning is basically port length. the lower you want your box to sound, the longer the port. there are some great calculators on www.the12volt.com i highly reccomend and i use them all the time.

'99 Cavalier z24

-Kenwood KDC-BT945U hu

-Alpine Type X 5.25 components

-oldskool RF p201s 600w 2channel

-RF punch 3way 6x9s

-custom built 15" Shocker Sig from Shocker Mike!

-soundstream dtr1.2200 tower amp

-6.0ft^3 ~33Hz instead of a backseat FTW

--references: alphasig293

Read build logs, hang out and absorb as much as you can.

there's rules of thumb to designing good boxes and those can be found right here on this forum.

you really want to learn, then that's the best way so I'm not gonna say too much more. Good luck to ya!

Will do. I've been reading build logs, but it's just so confusing on what they say. Like, they say so much that I don't understand, it's at a point where I'm reading words from like a different language. I'll keep trying tho.

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

^ lol ninja'd. i completely agree with this too its honestly about the only way to do it. take notes, then test everything out.

'99 Cavalier z24

-Kenwood KDC-BT945U hu

-Alpine Type X 5.25 components

-oldskool RF p201s 600w 2channel

-RF punch 3way 6x9s

-custom built 15" Shocker Sig from Shocker Mike!

-soundstream dtr1.2200 tower amp

-6.0ft^3 ~33Hz instead of a backseat FTW

--references: alphasig293