Sonic Electronix

what would be better, 6 12 inch subwoofers in a sealed box with about 6 cu.ft airspace or 3 12 inch subwoofers in a ported box tuned to about 33hz with about 5 cu.ft of airspace. im talking more for flex and spl not sound quality , thanks !

You wouldn't be able to tell until you installed it. But I'm gonna be almost 100% certain that 2x the cone area will be louder, even if in a sealed box..

*EDIT

Depends on the subs though, because you may be too small with the sealed enclosure....

Edited by osamio

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

thanks for the opinion, you ask about the subs, umm well as i destroyed my 2 decent audiobahns i am going cheap for the moment, with jbl just normal dual 2 ohm voice coils at like 400 rms each i doubt they need a great deal of airspace. the reason im going jbl is because they are on big discount at the moment and i in major lack of funds but cannot drive without some bass, so again which wuld be louder with the above informaion taen into account? also another problem i have though about is that i will be running of 1 kicker kx700.1 i n i an run 3 of them at 3 ohms but if i had 6 of them would they be able to be wired above 2 ohms(which the amp is stable at) or is 6 subs and 1 amp a bad idea, thanks

Really depends on what you want...if you're wanting to hit the low lows, the sealed box will have to be bigger then the factory suggested cf, although I doubt those jbls will do great on the lows in the first place.

Also, from my experience, running x amount of subs closer to their rated power is better then a larger amount of subs being underpowered. Keep that in mind.

Due to your lack of power I think the 3 ported would be your best option. Also, 3 or 6 subs on one amp is fine, as long as they are all the same driver/vc config. As for the resistance...what kind of ohm rating are you wanting to run the amp at?

Umm 2 ohms and above really because the amp isnt 1 ohm stable its a small boot really, the 2 audiobahns at 2 ohms would set car alarms of on the single amp, so i was wanted similar performance really by playing the cheap subs in a decent box, from what you have said im guessing my original idea of 3 12s in a decent airspace box with the port tuned quite low would b best, would you say having all 3 subs sharing the airspace or partition the box into 3 pats would b best, my guess is no partitions as its off 1 amp? Thanks