Mechman Alternators

Need an alt for a 1988 Chevy caprice 5.0L 305 engine. Looking for at least a 250 amp. Thanks

First of all, we need to know if you have the 307 5.0, or the 305 5.0, both engines were available in 1988.

Secondly, your vehicle is equipped with only a 5 groove belt to drive the alternator, and it has very poor belt wrap around the alternator pulley. I would not recommend any larger than a 240 amp unit, and even that is likely to slip the belt under full load. Going any larger than that would be pointless, as you would not get any more amperage, once the belt starts slipping.

We have a custom machined, late model large case conversion kit that bolts directly in place of your small case CS130 alternator. It has much better cooling, and MUCH better idle output than is possible with the stock housing. We include everything necessary for it to bolt right in for $549. It does 240 amps, with 135 amps at idle, and comes STANDARD with the adjustable voltage boost module, so you can boost the charging voltage for even better performance.

regards,

Matthew

Need an alt for a 1988 Chevy caprice 5.0L 305 engine. Looking for at least a 250 amp. Thanks

First of all, we need to know if you have the 307 5.0, or the 305 5.0, both engines were available in 1988.

Secondly, your vehicle is equipped with only a 5 groove belt to drive the alternator, and it has very poor belt wrap around the alternator pulley. I would not recommend any larger than a 240 amp unit, and even that is likely to slip the belt under full load. Going any larger than that would be pointless, as you would not get any more amperage, once the belt starts slipping.

We have a custom machined, late model large case conversion kit that bolts directly in place of your small case CS130 alternator. It has much better cooling, and MUCH better idle output than is possible with the stock housing. We include everything necessary for it to bolt right in for $549. It does 240 amps, with 135 amps at idle, and comes STANDARD with the adjustable voltage boost module, so you can boost the charging voltage for even better performance.

regards,

Matthew

I think you missed the 305 in my original post :yahoo:

ouch $549 is that shipped?

regards,

Matthew

Would you happen to have anything laying around on the b stock side I can take off your hands?