I think I know, but I could be wrong

I want to avoid getting a new one, at least for the time being. Shit cost like 70 bucks out here, I don't have that kinda money right now. Now tell me something, if ya filling up every two days you'd think there was a problem too.

Just tried cleaning it, sprayed carb cleaner inside. got it as dry as I could. Don't think a few small droplets would affect much. I turned the radio off and listened to the engine. Now the rpms are going up,down, up, down....think I'm looking at needing a new IAC.

did you let the engine sit there and reach full operating temp, then let it sit another 5 minutes or so?

edit, when doing this dont turn ANY accesories on, keep the radio off, keep the lights off, everything.

Edited by cmamtower

apparently you dont get the fact that the subaru was wrapped around a pole. and by the status of your comment, im guessing your mouth is too.

Vehicle: 1997 Honda Civic EX

Exterior: 55w 5k Headlights and 35w 3k JDM Fogs. Lowered. Sittin on steelies right now

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate P450.4

Batteries: Kinetik HC 800

Electrical: Big 3 in 1/0

Enclosure: n/a : (

Headunit: Clarion VZ409

Mids/Highs: Pheonix Gold Rsd6.5's in the Front Doors

Subwoofers: n/a : (

Wire: Knukoncepts 1/0 and 4g

Future Upgrades: 20% tint all around, GC/Koni coilovers, body work (fml) lol

yea, what cmcmtower said. and did you happen to move the pintle at all? you might have to set it again and then let the computer figure out the rest. but if cleaning it defiantly made a difference then that is most likely your problem. also are you sure you dont have a vacuum leak? spray some carb cleaner around the intake manifold gasket, the throttle body, and any other vacuum hoses just to be sure. and go to the local autozone if you have one and have them scan it for codes cuz if that is bad then there will be a code but it might not trip your check engine light. or your check engine light is on and the bulb is burnt out....

Don't know where the pintle is or how to reset it so no idea there. Cleaning it did seem to make a difference, doesnt rev up high anymore. Instead the idle goes up and down, but far as I can tell the mileage is back to normal-ish. I did notice how ever today that from a dead stop acceleration seemed to be lacking alot, but like passing on the highway the acceleration was there when I needed it. I'm fairly sure I don't have a vac leak, but I'll check to make sure. I do have an autozone near me, but they don't have a scanner for anything older than 96. I've got a scanner that I can use but ya need to be freaking smart to use it, doesn't give ya read out like other scanners. Instead ya gotta watch the light and listen to the beeps then read the book and try and figure out what is goin on. Not as easy as it sounds.

IACV or TPS. Also my car had high idle and the problem I had was the PCV and a grommet went missing on the PCV line that went into the top of the intake.

I also replaced my IACV.

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

I'm getting a new IACV tomorrow. Heading into work yesterday I had a pretty good scare. About half way to work I noticed my car not slowing down when I left up off the gas, instead it increased in speed going up hill. Anytime I had to go slower than 55 I head to ride the brakes. Kinda scary when ya car wont slow down on its own. I have no idea how I made it to work and back home in one piece. I thought something for sure was either gonna break or I would crash into some slow ass driver.

I replaced the IACV but it's still revin up higher than normal. I took it for a spin to see if any other problems were still there, luckily there wasn't any. I did disconnect the battery when I put the new one on to reset the computer, so that shouldn't be the cause. Since this part is brand new and clean the problem in no longer the IACV. I know someone mentioned a vac leak, but I've never heard of a vac leak causing high idle. At least on past cars I've owned a vac leak caused rough idle. Even my grandpa doesn't think a vac leak could cause it, he was a mechanic for 30+ years. I'm think maybe it's my TPS but not sure.

Well a vac leak DID cause my issues which possibly could cause yours and it doesn't hurt to check.

Have someone start the car up while you have your head near the motor and see if you hear any sucking sounds and then have the person shut off the car and see if you hear it.

Edited by Rebel4055

Rest In Peace mother.

Checked for a vac leak, found nothing. So still looking for the cause of the high idle.

Hmm, is the check engine light on at all? When my PCV had a leak it threw a code and now it's not on since I fixed it.

Rest In Peace mother.