Sonic Electronix

Most people can't hear a difference in volume change unless it gets to/or exceeds a 3db change. Now while this is a big difference to those who have witnessed it...keep in mind... if your vehicle is pulling 135db @ db drag... you (under perfect conditions) would gain 3db by doubling your power. So for however much the amp and wiring costs you, you've moved from 135 to 138db...the question is...is ONLY a 3db gain worth the time and money? VS say...a better box? A better design? A better woofer could make the same difference given efficiency ratings...

All about how you want to go about it.

Side note: with regards to doubling overall output...for those who don't recall....you must multiply your original power by x10. so 500w...turns into 5000w in order to double the output.

(Keep in mind these calculations are based in a perfect world; other things will play into this)

I think your read wikipedia on the wrong day,

double your output is roughly 3db gain,

10 db gain is 10x

20 db gain is 100x louder

30 db gain is 1000x louder

Most people can't hear a difference in volume change unless it gets to/or exceeds a 3db change. Now while this is a big difference to those who have witnessed it...keep in mind... if your vehicle is pulling 135db @ db drag... you (under perfect conditions) would gain 3db by doubling your power. So for however much the amp and wiring costs you, you've moved from 135 to 138db...the question is...is ONLY a 3db gain worth the time and money? VS say...a better box? A better design? A better woofer could make the same difference given efficiency ratings...

Side note: with regards to doubling overall output...for those who don't recall....you must multiply your original power by x10. so 500w...turns into 5000w in order to double the output.

(Keep in mind these calculations are based in a perfect world; other things will play into this)

10 db gain is 10x

This is mostly right. I say mostly because human perception is too subjective for actual figures. But on the meter measuring compression, then yes.

And just for some fun.. Think of 3dB roughly as doubling your pressure at a given point. (P + 3dB = P * 21)

A simple equation to give you a rough idea what kind of compression difference you'll get

Gain multiplier = 2(dB gain / 3)

Example:

10dB gain

Gain multiplier = 2(10/3)

Gain multiplier = 10.07

20dB gain

Gain multiplier = 2(20/3)

Gain multiplier = 101.59

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

10 db gain is 10x

This is mostly right. I say mostly because human perception is too subjective for actual figures. But on the meter measuring compression, then yes.

And just for some fun.. Think of 3dB roughly as doubling your pressure at a given point. (P + 3dB = P * 21)

A simple equation to give you a rough idea what kind of compression difference you'll get

Gain multiplier = 2(dB gain / 3)

Example:

10dB gain

Gain multiplier = 2(10/3)

Gain multiplier = 10.07

20dB gain

Gain multiplier = 2(20/3)

Gain multiplier = 101.59

nice,

but yea, i wasn't going by ear, but physics definitions

I'm running D2's wired at half ohm now on one AQ3500.1, I will be strapping them at 2ohm load when I get another AQ3500.1 so "8600" watts at 14.4. I'm debating on buying a cactus sounds 12k on CACO and wiring to 2 ohm. Thoughts.. buy another AQ and strap the amps, leave my one amp set up and buy 2 more batts and alt, or buy the cactus 12k? Either way I will be buying 2 more batteries and an alternator. I dont like running at .5 ohm either even the my voltage is pretty steady above 1500rpm. It's never seen below 12.4 and the only song that does that is decafs Mi casa su casa. My Grand Cherokee is a 1998 btw

Edited by Dan2427

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!