Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

96 Ranger Stepside DC build *updated* Now with more TL :)

36 replies to this topic

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
Okay yall, let me first start by saying that I am amazed at some of the setups a lot of you have on here. Mine is nothing super fancy. It's just clean and loud. The truck is my daily driver, and my work horse too. It has its dents and dings, scratches and chips, and it may not be the biggest baddest setup I could've done, but I did all this on a really limited budget, and I still need to use the truck for a truck everyday. So, that being said, i hope yall can appreciate the time and effort i've put into my baby as much as i appreciate it.

yall can skip this part if u want, just a little back history on the truck:
i had a green 95 ranger my wife wrecked, with ym 2 15" type r's, on an audiopipe ap30001d amp, custom proted box. When she wrecked my truck, the box got broken along on of the seams. Rather than fix it, I sold my entire system to get my new truck. At MWSPL comp in Grand Island, in local class, I clamped 2200 rms, and hit 145.25 db. The box was broken during the comp and i didnt know it yet, and later i found out my redtop in the back was no good either. So i could've done better. Then, i decided after i got my 96 ranger, that i wanted to start over, and make this truck my baby. So here's the build.... enjoy!!

1996 Ford Ranger Stepside. Black. 3.0 V6, 5 speed manual, 2wd.

Equipment:

Alpine CDA-105
Audiopipe AP30001d
2- 15" DC Audio Level 4 m2 subs
Custom ported box, tuned to 29 hz
ebay special 250 amp Alternator
Optima Yellowtop under hood
Shuriken bt-120 in cab whwere jump seat used to be
Stinger 1/0 wiring
Big 3 upgrade and then some lol. Tons of grounds.
Sony xplod 4x6's in doors and rear
Crimegaurd Alarm System with tilt, shock, and microwave sensors.

Future equipment:
Component Set for doors and rear
In dash equalizer
4 channel amp for components

Exterior Mods:
Ebay Black Projector Headlight Housings and matching corners
8000k HID Headlamps
Modified stock wiring and projector lenses to use projector as low beams.
Focal 16" Black And red rims
215/70/R16 Cooper discoverer ATR tires
Black painted grille with red mesh
Red DC Audio logos under badges
Red Flame pinstriping
Red Neon underbody
Red Calipers Rotors and Drums
VHT Nightshades Taillights and 3rd brake light
20% Window Tint
DTP Disturbin' Tha Peace Vinyl on back window

Interior Mods:
Custom embossed Red Headliner, RANGER XLT
Full length center console from a Ford Explorer,painted black with red trim
Bucket seats from cavalier modified for the ranger rails, and to gain more leg room
Red Instrument cluster trim, and red gauge needles.
Luan plywood adhered to roof to prevent rattles and flex.
2x4 cut down slightly and bolted under rear window to help with flex,
Removed jump seats, and repalced with 2nd battery box, and "amp rack" for future 4 channel amp

Pics will be coming up soon. am waiting for uploads to finish on photobucket. Sorry for the wall of text btw LOL

Edited by rboutin2, 08 June 2012 - 08:12 AM.

sprkn_ranger

sprkn_ranger

165db

• Members

• 3,898 posts
  • Interests:stuff that cost too much
In for pics! :drinks:

But one question, why tune the box so low? 29 is pretty damn low!
Check out my build log! 4 Havocs in a blowthrough :D
http://www.stevemead...wthrough-build/

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
The truck when i first got it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage

In for pics! :drinks:

But one question, why tune the box so low? 29 is pretty damn low!

Personal Preference. I absolutely love the lows, I lvoe getting that take ur breath away, dont know if ur drink is going up or down feeling lol!

sprkn_ranger

sprkn_ranger

165db

• Members

• 3,898 posts
Right on man, nice lookin truck. I used to have a 94 and then also had a 01 4x4. Very good trucks.

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
Right off the bat, i had to fix several things on the ranger. I ended up cracking a rib in the middle of the work, and it took me a month to get it all done. It needed a new slave cylinder and clutch right away, lost my clutch a day after driving. Typical ranger thing tho, no biggie. Needed a new belt, coolant flush, tranny fluid change, oil change, spark plugs and wires, Diff oil change, Driveshaft carrier bearing, Front and rear brakes, and of course, chop the exhaust off just after the cat to make it sound mean lol!

Some pics of the work:
Put red neon on while waiting for parts on day.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Painting calipers and their brackets
Posted Image

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
Painted Grille, and red mesh behind it. Dont laugh at headlights, they were temporary lol
Posted Image

HID Housings installed. Im not worried bout my license plate lol, youll know its my truck even if i didnt show my plates rofl
Posted Image

Posted Image

The large reflector used to be the high and low beam. i have since rewired it to be high beam only, and the smaller projector is my low beams, with the HID in them.
Posted Image

High Beams. i cheaped out, and didnt get a 2nd HID kit for the high beams LOL, i figure why? when my low beams are brighter than my brights LOL
Posted Image
Low beams, 8000k HID
Posted Image

Posted Image
HID's at night.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The truck before I got my focal rims on it. These were cragar soft 8's with the stock ranger center caps, and my new cooper tires.
Posted Image

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
The New Focal rims
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
All these pics were taken before i had the spacers painted and the center of the rotors
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Paint is really faded in this photo. this was after a good wax too. There will be more on that later tho :)
Posted Image

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
Starting the headliner.

Had to pull off all the fabric that was falling down or loose
Posted Image

Drawing up the flames
Posted Image

Test fitting all the pieces
Posted Image

Posted Image
My scrawny butt lining everything up lol :)
Posted Image

Posted Image
I really wish i had some pics of me and the wife putting the fabric on. Weldwood contact cement, cheapo walmart paintbrushes, and a hairdryer to cure the cement faster. Use a small wallpaper roller to make the fabric adhere well. I use fleece for my headliners cuz it is cheap, easy to work with, stretches easily, and comes in many many colors and patterns.
Posted Image

Posted ImageMMANY MANY More pics will be coming tomorrow. Time for bed, and I am waiting for photobucket to finish more uploads.

Edited by rboutin2, 30 May 2012 - 07:39 AM.

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
Just some of the equipment :)
Posted Image

250 Alternator. first one LOL. more on that in a sec
Posted Image

Shuriken BT-120 Battery
Posted Image

My oops moment. $200 down the drain lol
HAd to remove transmission again for a second time to replace the damn oil pan gasket. Shoulda done it while i had tranny out first time, but anyways, apparently battery went dead when the tranny was out somehow, and When we went to start it, it seemed like a wiring problem not a dead battery, so we started undoing all the wiring, and my alternator wire fell down next to the battery, I didnt see it there, it wasnt shorting, but just wasnt connected to anything. Started the truck,a nd smoke just started pouring out the engine bay like a mofo lol. Lesson learned, always have a power wire connected on the alternator when the motor is running, especially with an HO alt :)

Posted Image

Fried the stator. Smoke rollin out the engine bay like u wouldnt believe.
Posted Image
Rectifier Completely toast.
Posted Image

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
In my old ranger, my 95 witht the type r 15's, I had a bad problem of the roof flexing. i fixed it by attaching 3/8 plywood to the roof supports, and filling between the wood and sheet metal of the roof with great stuff. And it worked great, BUT the headliner never fit right, cuz the foam and wood made the roof too thick. So, i tried a new technique this time,a nd I could recommend it to anyone cuz it has held up hella good this time, with none of the headliner not fitting problems. PL premium, luan plywood, and scrap wood for temporary supports.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
There is also a ton of expanding foam all around the edges of the roof, and in all the supports to stop the flex.
Posted Image

pimpnFosgates

pimpnFosgates

150db

• Members

• 1,711 posts
  • Interests:My cars N My Audio
Garage View Garage
dig this. this things sicc and i didg the headliner. keep it up buddy

89 cABbY VerTiblE

Have

JVC Kameleon HU - 5v preouts

Infinity 4x6s (current doors)

Beyma sc502a Rear mids

AQ 1200.1

SA8V.2

Soon

350 amp alt

full glassed rear

lotta speakers

1973 D4RT - Twisted 6
MTX thunder 4320 Power Amplifier - Mids/Highs
AQ1200 - Sub Stage
Massive M6's 1 set
AQ supertweets 1set
Powerbass 5.25 comps 1 set
Totally Custom engine work
Motor Build Log - http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1
Audio Build - http://www.stevemead..._1#entry1717053
<Twisted 6>

[color=#800080;][font="georgia, serif;"]I LIKE MY BOXES LIKE I LIKE MY WOMAN, (<<<<<SINGULAR) NEKKID (O[font="'times new roman', times, serif;"]w[/color][/font]O)/[/font]

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
Now, for a lil bit of a story again, regarding ym box. The system is completely done as of today. I went through 3 boxes before I settled on this one. The first box i build was similar to my type r 15 box in my old ranger, just different tuning and slightly bigger. I went with the same box thinking it would be good enough. unfortunately i was dead wrong. i underestimated the DC's, and they literally ripped my first box for them apart. The baffle basically broke off the front. I will post some vids of the flex from it sometime. Then, I built a second box, decided to try a slot port (i usually only do aeroports, like them better). That was a mistake. the box had a VERY flat response, and wasnt near as boomy as my broken aeroport box. So, I then redesigned my aeroport box to be even bigger, double baffle, better screws, dowel rods for reinforcement, wood glue instead of liquid nails, etc etc. I made this thing super strong this time. The first box I will put up is my original box. I will then post my slot port, then my new aeroport box. Hopefully this dont cause too much confusion lol. But as of right now, I am running the New aeroport box.

Got ports? lol
Posted Image
Test fitting
Posted Image

Cutting out port holes
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

box in bed of my truck for the night. Finished the work the next morning
Posted Image

Sub holes getting cut out
Posted Image

getting ready for carpeting
Posted Image
The wife helping me out :)
Posted Image
She gets mad when i use her kitchen utensils in my garage. Rolling pins work the best for large areas of contact cement tho
Posted Image

Posted Image
Indenting the sides by 1/2" makes a HUGE difference on how easy a box is to carpet.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Weldwood contact cement. The best stuff in my opinion for adhering most things together.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Test fitting in the truck to make sure seats clear and everything is ready for the subs :)
Posted Image
Ports put in, shows how close the seats are. and this is with seats almost fully forward. Knees hit the dash when i drive :)
Posted Image

Edited by rboutin2, 30 May 2012 - 08:03 AM.

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
Now for the equipment. The part yall actually wana see lol:
Optima Yellowtop
Posted Image

New Alternator after i fried the last one lol:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Audiopipe AP30001d
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Whats in the box?? Hmmmmmm :)
Posted Image

Hellz yeah!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

I love the m2's. they are such gorgeous subs!!
Posted Image

My level 4 15 next to my Buddy jason's level 2 12 lol.
Posted Image

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
Onto the battery box, and the amp and wiring install

Posted Image

Posted Image

Test fitting after putting carpet on the battery box to make sure it still fits. Cut out the trim panel behind the box to allow it to slide all the way back in. 4x4 blocks are attached to the sheet metal in the truck so i can attach the box the the truck.
Posted Image
Back inside of it carpeted.
Posted Image

Test fitting the battery
Posted Image
Fuse holders inside the battery box. 2 300 ANL for the amp, and for between the front and back batteries.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Clean!! I love it. I cant have wires everywhere. If u can see it, it will look pretty lol :)
Posted Image

Drilled a hole through the body behind the battery box, got a zinc plated bolt to ground the amp and the rear battery through the truck body, then to this ground under the truck, then from there to the frame rail. Everything heatshrunk with the adhesive kind, so it keeps the elements out.
Posted Image

Custom bracket to hold my rear battery fuse under the hood. Stupid ABS controller is where i put my fuse holder in my last truck. Not much room for it elsewhere so i had to make a spot so i can still get to it if needed.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of the wiring put on. Still got more to go.
Posted Image

my grounds are as follows:
Amp to bolt though body,
Bolt through body to main frame rail,
Frame rail in front of truck straight to front battery
Frame rail in front of truck to motor
Front battery to air conditioner compressor mounting bracket
Front battery to alternator Case
Several smaller 4 gauge grounds all around the body where the factory flat ground straps were.

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
Amp installed, and wired up, no fuses in yet tho.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
Now for the bad week that i had lol:
Here is a vid of the box when it was broken:

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
Now, before i go any further with the audio, the truck got some pretty major exterior changes a couple days before i discovered the broken box.

I had the truck detailed and the color brought back into it, most of the scratches gone, and The rims polished up real nice. It was night and day difference when I got it back. BTW, i wana throw a shout out to my homeboy at KMS detailing for hooking me up with a good deal. You did an amazing job bro!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
The center of my brake rotors and the spacers painted to match the calipers too. It is what the front rims were missing.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

rboutin2

rboutin2

120db

• Members
  • 38 posts
Garage View Garage
And now, for the exterior changes :)
This my favorite part of my truck other than the system of course lol
This is what really sets the truck off. Makes it what it is.
The pinstriping dont really show up very good with my camera. Razr maxx isnt very good at picking them up
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

sprkn_ranger

sprkn_ranger

165db

• Members

• 3,898 posts
Truck cleaned up real good with the detailing :good: good job on the carpeting too, looks nice man.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users