96 4Runner with 2 Fi Q 18s (lots of pics)

love those yotas! liked the tubed bumper look on the 4runner, excited to see how it comes out! and if you ever work on that pickup, post pics!

What do you want to see?

That's the coolest project I have ever done. Everything prior was a "bolt on" build. Or I had experience. I've been building computers and wiring buildings professionally since I've been 7, so wiring in a car is simple. Adding bolt ons is simple. That truck has been an awesome challenge. Made almost every piece I needed

Completely built the motor. First time ever

Built the trans and transfer cases.

It's a dual transfer case with an independent shift triple stick setup and drivetrain caliper brake

those trucks look sweet. and i just love seeing custom stuff and what it takes to get cool projects to work. love solid axle trucks. so anything off road pretty much lol i actually went into this thread because i used to have a 86 4runner and my friend has a 3rd gen runner with a solid axel swap, locked front and rear and on 35"s and its so much fun to drive. always wanted to see what a bigger system would be like in a runner

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

those trucks look sweet. and i just love seeing custom stuff and what it takes to get cool projects to work. love solid axle trucks. so anything off road pretty much lol i actually went into this thread because i used to have a 86 4runner and my friend has a 3rd gen runner with a solid axel swap, locked front and rear and on 35"s and its so much fun to drive. always wanted to see what a bigger system would be like in a runner

I will always have a love for 1st gen 4runners. I have had a few, and built a few more.

A buddy of mine has a "show" one with some minor bass and it sounds amazing with the roof on.

I kind of miss the days of 33s and IFS because it was simple and fun.

But solid axle swaps and such have taught me so much, and are much more reliable, especially on big tires.

I added an air support suspension to the rear this summer, so I'll have a tubed toyota pulling tubed toyotas now I guess haha

Yes I have a lot of stereo weight. I build for Smiles Per Gallon not Miles Per Gallon LOLZ

My build - 1996 4Runner with 2 18s - 149+ in a sealed box (with radiators)

0a4ee87c-28c8-4bf8-9dfe-5a06b9dea2dc_zps

3e3eb9dd-70f8-4424-ad11-ccebcd929ac4_zps

Update:

Got a good bit done over the weekend

Ended up going with 3/4" solid rod so that I wouldn't have to modify the washers

Plates were cut using 1/8" plate

I drilled 4 holes on each using a drill press.

My friend moved shops last week and the mill wasn't set up yet for me to use. I would have much preferred to use that because I could have drilled through all 12 at once, and made them perfectly equal.

However, since the plates were 3x3, I had no good way to mount them to the drill press. I could only use one clamp, so I did one plate at a time, and made the holes by eye. It really doesn't matter for my application, but it will explain why everything might not look "straight" later.

Onto the pics

null_zps3fce8837.jpg

null_zpsf1449c4d.jpg

null_zps2653d238.jpg

Not bad for a pharmacy student haha

null_zpsbf6ae3b6.jpg

1/2" hardware

null_zps79ed810a.jpg

Yes I have a lot of stereo weight. I build for Smiles Per Gallon not Miles Per Gallon LOLZ

More on the box

Each piece had to be assembled inside of the car

I built it almost as wide as possible in the widest part of the car

I'll just say that bolting the side to side support bars was a little tricky

null_zps40536918.jpg

Don't worry. The sides were just sitting like that. Everything is perfectly square

null_zps23e2cc7e.jpg

null_zps958237f8.jpg

I only used 8 screws in the box (not counting the 48 1/2" bolts haha)

One on each corner of the front wall to hold the sides while the glue dried

And three on the front wall corners

null_zps256f5922.jpg

Yes I know the screws are not even. It will be wrapped so I didn't care. I had to flex the drill bit since the rear plastics flare to the center and the drill couldn't be placed straight. I did this so that the screws would go in straight and pull that board tight.

I wanted to do this box without screws. But since I was doing this part by myself, I really had no choice, since I couldn't clamp it or anything due to clearance.

I only put screws where needed to make a perfect seal between the two boards.

Considering all the bracing is flush mounted, and built from scratch by myself, I am surprised it went together as square and clean as it did. Just goes to show how much planning and. Thought I put into this build before ever picking up a tool.

Finale pics. For now. I didn't get a chance to fiberglass the wells because of a tornado.

I tried to work through it, but the rain blowing into the car and my shop kinda made it impossible, or implausible at least.

Sadly, I will not be back home for about a month, so that's where the build lies for now

I still have my tens/radiator setup in the car. Just in the back seat now. I will NOT go without bass haha.

null_zps5e1e6e3e.jpg

null_zps8f3b7f7d.jpg

Yes it clears the basket. This is with only one of the mounting baffles

null_zpsd5f6d705.jpg

This is inside

null_zpse4d57233.jpg

Right at the window line (tops are just placed, not mounted)

null_zps3d211d87.jpg

Also made my rear adapters. Sealed with some Thompson weatherproof sealant pain. Was on clearance haha

null_zps90109399.jpg

Still have to put dynaliner on the rear doors

null_zps6e9b4c72.jpg

Had a little buddy (salamander)

He is probably dead now thanks to the storm haha

null_zpsa0f0f533.jpg

man, you aren't joking around when it comes to bracing a box lol looks sweet! when you gonna glass in the fender wells?

I think you have a bit of truck stuck in your mud bro

~Ford Ranger, ext cab
Kenwood DDX470
1/0ga stinger wiring for big 3
1/0ga ofc flextech wiring

3 kinetik 800's

AQ2200 @1ohm

Sundown Audio X15

in a 27Hz tuned ported box

LE BUILD LOG!!!

Archived