Second Skin Audio

Help on a 4th order blow throu box

Haterhurter

What type of design. Sorry new to the 4th order build

A regular 4th order bandpass. Thats a box with a sealed rear chamber and a ported front chamber with the sub sitting between the two.

A starting point for box specs would be 3 cubes sealed, and 3-6 cubes ported, tuned to 42 hz. With 3 cubes on the ported side you would get a more even response, as you increase the front chamber volume, you will gain in output but only between about 35-50 hz. If you made it 6 cubes you would be about 4 db louder than with 3 cubes (in theory) but only around your tuning frequency at 42 hz. Above and below that the increase in output diminishes. At 6 cubes the box would definitely be what I consider to be "peaky".

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thanks man. I might go with 3 sealed and 4.5 ported. And also new to the winIsd could I be able to get the port size on there? I originally was gonna go with 4 sealed 8 ported. But was having trouble figuring out how to to tune and the port size.

No prob, glad I can help.

For WinISD, the first thing I suggest is you get the newest version, you can get it here: http://www.linearteam.org/download/winisd-07x.exe

You can use WinISD to determine port size, for bandpass boxes I like to keep port velocity under 22 m/sec if possible. This would mean you need 100 sq in of port for a 4.5 cube front chamber.

No matter what you do, I suggest you make the port removeable or otherwise adjustable. Its often beneficial to move the tuning frequency around a little bit and its a lot easier to do if you plan for it in the beginning.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

And how can I get that. Every time I put the numbers in on winisd I get almost the same results with a high peck

Some the reason the peak looks so high is just your view settings in WinISD. If you click on the wrench icon you can then change your ranged for Transfer Func. Magn. to -15 & 25.

The peak in output is just what you get with a bandpass box with a large front chamber. You can make your front chamber smaller and it will bring that peak down, but at the cost of efficiency. Like Joe X was showing, cabin gain will boost the low end output quite a bit. You should have pretty solid output from the high 20's up to about 50 Hz. If you want to be able to hit a bit higher with your subs you can raise your front chamber tuning to 46 or so. Just keep in mind whatever you gain on the high end, you lose on the low end.

If you want to get a rough idea of what cabin gain will do, you can add a filter in WinISD like this:

GJ7LEYf.png

Please keep in mind its only a ROUGH approximation. Since you are dealing with a trunk cab, the cabin gain is going to kick in at a bit higher frequency, so I'd probably change the "60" in that filter to a 70.

Builds:

Archived