Second Skin Audio

Herculiner + MDF = Pretty mean looking box

kl0wn

Okay well I am going to go out and buy some black herculiner soon so I can cover my box, tired of it being completely ugly with the plain wood texture. I was just wondering, is there anything I have to do to the wood to "prime" it? Like on the Herculiner website it says to wipe down the bed of the truck with Xylene, Acetone, or MEK solutions. I know I would not apply those to the box, but is there anything I should do to prime the box to get it ready? Or just stir the stuff up and get to work.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

just give it a light sand and primer woull b agood idea bkause MDF will really absorb on the first coat

u wouldnt want to line it all and have it look brown

do it with a roller 4 a thick result

yellow optima kicker 0gauge

Alpine CDA-105

4 infinity 6 1/2s - 2 infinity 6x9s

Audio Control Epicenter

1 Hifonics XX Hurcules

8K hid

2 RF HX2 18s D4

sealed at 8cubes

4 now

in a grand cherokee

box build comin soon

just give it a light sand and primer woull b agood idea bkause MDF will really absorb on the first coat

u wouldnt want to line it all and have it look brown

do it with a roller 4 a thick result

Yeah I was thinking of sanding it a little bit but wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not, and I planned on using a roller for it, and a brush to go around the holes, and just spray painting the port. This is my first time ever messing with this stuff, and my first time ever using anything along these lines to cover a box, usually it's just carpet, wanted to try something different.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

Yeah I was thinking of sanding it a little bit but wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not, and I planned on using a roller for it, and a brush to go around the holes, and just spray painting the port. This is my first time ever messing with this stuff, and my first time ever using anything along these lines to cover a box, usually it's just carpet, wanted to try something different.

I did a box with a herculiner kit and all i did was sand it first and them applied 3 coats and it turned out great. Just make sure the first coat is light and then apply heavier 2nd, and 3rd coat if needed.

'05 GMC Envoy

H/U: PIONEER AVH P4300DVD

Subs: (8) SA-12's

Amps: (2) SAZ3500d's

MECHMAN 270A Alt and 5 Batteries with lots of 1/0

Haha okay, well thanks to y'all for the replies, decided to go out and buy myself one of the black kits earlier today, will be covering the box tomorrow with it!

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

i used a cheap bedliner from a local parts store just rolled it on..looked like nice for awhile..but the bedliner was so cheap that it scratched all the wayy thru to wood..an peeled off when i pulled my subs out..so now i have a ugly box with bondo all over it

EDIT:spell check

i used a cheap bedliner from a local parts store just rolled it on..looked like nice for awhile..but the bedliner was so cheap that it scratched all the wayy thru to wood..an peeled off when i pulled my subs out..so now i have a ugly box with bondo all over it

EDIT:spell check

Haha damn bro, sorry to hear that. Hopefully this Herculiner does good and doesn't scratch/chip away and is a good product.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

Archived