Okay so heres the deal. I got a 1 1/2 year old pitbull yesterday. He is very loving and playful but hasn't had much time taken up with him (been on a chain most of his life), so he is doesn't listen at all. I spent most of the day with him today, and when I "can" get his attention I can get him to sit on command. The problem is getting his attention and keeping it for more than a few moments. I have no experience with these breeds but have always wanted one. Do any of you current or former pitbull owners have any advice for me? Any pointers on effective training tools?

System tear out has begun...Out with the old

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha

I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

l_59eb24b3e2d14283a9f1baf0746be9e0.jpg

The wife and I have 3 Pits, all inside dogs, sleep in the bed- are all rescues. Each one has its own personality and way we have to deal with them.

You are at an immediate disadvantage with training because he is already a year and a half old- but don't let that discourage you or stop you. It isn't like it can't be done, it will just be a bit slower than say if you got him as a puppy.

Step ONE: Make sure you are the boss and that he knows you are the boss. "Alpha Roll" him: Roll him over on his back and get all of his feet off the ground where the only thing on the ground is his back, applying slight pressure to his chest. Lean over him applying pressure to his chest, but don't hurt him or put too much pressure on him. When you do this, make him be still. Keep him there until he tries to get up, and then make it quite clear to him that he doesn't get up when he wants to, but when you want him to. You will know when he gives up b/c he will quit resisting and he will turn his head away from you and look elsewhere. Then you can let him up. Do this often in every room and in every situation you are in until you establish that you are the Boss.

Keep small treats handy for when you are training him. It is so easy to get angry when they seem to disobey you, but most of the time, they just don't know what you want. Negative reinforcement is bad, Especially with Pits. When they do something bad or you see something bad about to happen, simply take him out of the situation. Stop the bad habit immediately and put his mind on something else. Have him do little things that you know he will do- and then reward him with a treat. Always reward when the do good. Do your best to not loose your cool when they are bad. You can then build on his training with that.

Be consistent. Pits (on the whole) are very smart dogs and they remember things. If you don't allow something one day, do the next, and then don't again on the 3rd day, the dog sees this as weakness or that you don't mean what you say. They then will assume that with everything you tell them to do.

Stuff to check into: Cesar Millian's books and TV show: The Dog Whisperer.

People think my wife and I are crazy the way we talk about our dogs and how we train and interact with them. But really- you aren't training the dog, you are training yourself. Dogs are already hardwired to be the way they are- so if you act as the Alpha and treat them as an Alpha would, as long as they know that- you will know how they will act. Therefore, it is you who are being trained more so than the dog. Pretty crazy stuff, but when I gave in to this way of working with our Pits, everything fell into line.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Thanks man I really appreciate all the helpful tips. He is a handful but a beautiful dog and a little ball of energy lol.

System tear out has begun...Out with the old

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha

I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

l_59eb24b3e2d14283a9f1baf0746be9e0.jpg

The wife and I have 3 Pits, all inside dogs, sleep in the bed- are all rescues. Each one has its own personality and way we have to deal with them.

You are at an immediate disadvantage with training because he is already a year and a half old- but don't let that discourage you or stop you. It isn't like it can't be done, it will just be a bit slower than say if you got him as a puppy.

Step ONE: Make sure you are the boss and that he knows you are the boss. "Alpha Roll" him: Roll him over on his back and get all of his feet off the ground where the only thing on the ground is his back, applying slight pressure to his chest. Lean over him applying pressure to his chest, but don't hurt him or put too much pressure on him. When you do this, make him be still. Keep him there until he tries to get up, and then make it quite clear to him that he doesn't get up when he wants to, but when you want him to. You will know when he gives up b/c he will quit resisting and he will turn his head away from you and look elsewhere. Then you can let him up. Do this often in every room and in every situation you are in until you establish that you are the Boss.

Keep small treats handy for when you are training him. It is so easy to get angry when they seem to disobey you, but most of the time, they just don't know what you want. Negative reinforcement is bad, Especially with Pits. When they do something bad or you see something bad about to happen, simply take him out of the situation. Stop the bad habit immediately and put his mind on something else. Have him do little things that you know he will do- and then reward him with a treat. Always reward when the do good. Do your best to not loose your cool when they are bad. You can then build on his training with that.

Be consistent. Pits (on the whole) are very smart dogs and they remember things. If you don't allow something one day, do the next, and then don't again on the 3rd day, the dog sees this as weakness or that you don't mean what you say. They then will assume that with everything you tell them to do.

People think my wife and I are crazy the way we talk about our dogs and how we train and interact with them. But really- you aren't training the dog, you are training yourself. Dogs are already hardwired to be the way they are- so if you act as the Alpha and treat them as an Alpha would, as long as they know that- you will know how they will act. Therefore, it is you who are being trained more so than the dog. Pretty crazy stuff, but when I gave in to this way of working with our Pits, everything fell into line.

oh how true that is. my female is the smartest dog i have ever had. shes an inside dog but i used to keep her outside alot on a chain, she either broke the chain or would twist the chian up to the point that it would break the coller. then i put her in a 7' fence...took her all of 2 days to figure out how to climb out...then she went to just jumping right over that bitch. so i put her on a chain in the fence... break the chain then jump the gate. now shes inside all the time and we have a metal cage that she sleeps in, didnt take her long to figure out how to open that. now i have to put her in the cage and put two snap rings on the cage so she cant get out... i love her but shes a damn pain in the ass sometimes. And i have found that if i make her mad, she will get revenge.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

pits is suma the best dogs to have if treated right and as owner of them u learn alot. since yours is that old 1st like colin said make sure he knows ure the boss. and when traning it dont point ya fingers and throw ya hands around make them think ure tryin to play. they do need a lot of attention if they dont get it they will make u lol.

I know a lil about everything so dont call me Mr. Know it All.

you can still crate train him... look it up!

This works Very well in addition to everything else. We do this with ours as well. For having 3 Pits inside the house, it is amazing how few bathroom accidents we have. Thank you crate training.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

WOW, couldnt have said it any better myself. Colin, great reply bro! I love my PIT, he is 3 now, and getting more lovable everyday... This was my first pit, and he has taught me something.........That I will ALWAYS have PITS from here on out :D

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

Thanks man. :D We just love ours! :D We even have family photos with them... yes, we are "those" people. At the moment, in the absence of children, the pits are our babies. They have so much character!

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel