First attempt at fiberglass

Hey guys i thought i would show some progress pics of my first fiberglass project it will be a head unit and speaker stand contraption. It started as just two pieces of MDF with a DIN and would hook up power via a battery charger and some home audio speakers. When i got a little more gutsy i made two speaker rings to attach a set of speakers to and then mounted them to the side of the main face. Then after peeking around gp2k's and the fiberglass section and i thought that i would try and glass it. Open to any advice or tips, and so far i think it looks pretty good... Equipment is 2 Pioneer 6.5 coaxial and a Pioneer DEH 1500.

Pics will be up soon

I can't remember the fabric either it's a cotton fabric stretches really well and hopefully it will have enough strength

1993 Honda Civic LX

Kenwood KDC-MP342U Head Unit

Alpine MRP-250

Alpine MRP-500

Dual Alpine Type E-12's

Blaupunkt 2-way Coaxial all 4 doors

Sealed Box

Lookin pretty damn good man. Gotta watch out tho when you pinch the fabric like that it makes it real hard to smooth out later on. What we usually do is try to spread a few extra coats on those spots maybe even stretch over a thin fabric or cloth so when it dries it gives you more to work with which will make it easier when sanding to capture that symetrical look which i believe is the look your going for and well on your way to achieving. Piece should look nice when you get done. Good job bro. :good:

going to try and put the resin on tonight, the body shop that was in town closed so i decided for my first try i'll just use the bondo resin and mat. Hopefully it will still look good and if it doesn't then next time i'll plan it out to get the US composites resin

more pics tonight

1993 Honda Civic LX

Alpine MRP-250

Alpine MRP-500

Dual Alpine Type E-12's

Sealed Box

That circle in the back looks really uneven. the fabric from the front seems to dip down more on one side then the other.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

My Youtube Page. Check it out

The "SAV" - Sub-aural Assault Vehicle

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" Components

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

CDT 6.5" CL-E6NEO Front door Midbass

Kicker ZX350.4

Knukonceptz SS Karma 4 channel 6m RCA

Fi Q 18" w/ brushed aluminum dust cap

7cu ft. ported box tuned to 28hz

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Iraggi 240 amp Amputator Alt

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Second Skin Damplifier Lite on roof and front doors

Yeah i tried my best to get it close to symmetrical but being the first time using a jig saw it came out so so. The fabric though i did re stretch but when i mixed the resin and started to coat it i went back down.. Is resin supposed to be really thick when you pour it right out of the can i know if you mix it too hot it will go fast but pouring out of the can it seemed too think kinda like near frozen cooking oil

1993 Honda Civic LX

Alpine MRP-250

Alpine MRP-500

Dual Alpine Type E-12's

Sealed Box

Archived