Car Speakers at Home

Thank you for taking the time to explain that. The reason I was asking about using the RCAs instead of the high level inputs is that I've never used anything like that before an I don't want to do it wrong. Should I just try both, and see what sounds better?

I haven't tried it either, but the theory seems easy enough. If you want me to, i can try it on my system and let you know how it sounds and works. I have a very similar setup.

As for the wiring to the high level inputs, do I need to worry about the ohm load or the power coming from the receiver? Is the 100W from the receiver going to get canceled out somehow and "changed" into the 170W that the amp will be putting out to the sub?

When not connecting more speakers from the plate amp, i dont think so. It only needs a very small amount of power to run.

And i can try to clarify something else for you as well, if you don't mind, the reciever (any amp) doesn't automaticly put out a sertain amount of Watts(on general), but is gives a sertain amount of Voltage, and the amount of wattage you get from those Volts depends directly on the Ohm load.

Simple example:

Say you have a 28V, with an 8ohm load you get roughly 100W..

Now if you have an ohm load of like 1000ohms which is likely very close to what the resistance is on the high-level inputs the Wattage is like 0.8W and the reciever really wont be affected.

The amp also has "TO SPEAKERS" under the high level in/out. Can I just hook up some more speakers there? Would I use the specs of the receiver when choosing speakers for it (100W per channel, at least 16 ohm speaker impedance)?

Yes, then it would be the same as connecting them right to the reciever.

And your schematic is correct, except that L and R are switched...... :)

And your schematic is correct, except that L and R are switched...... :)

I don't know how that happened lol.

I think I'll just try both setups whenever I get the equipment and see which works better.

Well, I guess I know all I need to be able to buy and set this stuff up. Thank you very much for the help bro.

I've been looking at other receivers, and I've realized I don't really need all the features on the one I was going to use. I think I now want to use this one. This receiver is only 20 bucks, and seems like it will work perfectly for me.

The main difference is that it's only 20 watts per channel. Will that get loud enough to fill my room? I also like that you can use down to 4 ohm speakers, instead of 8 ohm like the other receiver I was looking at.

I dunno, would this receiver be good for me? and, just in case, if I did want to use the RCA inputs for the amp, could I just use splitters and plug one set into the amp, and one into the receiver? I'll probably end up using the speaker terminals, but I was just wondering.