A little update on the planned equipment, changes are written in bold.

Hello guys!! And girls?

I want to start a build log of my current audio project, the building of a SQ-oriented car stereo in a beat up 1991 Saab 9000-Turbo, hatcback.

For the convenience of having one, to show off, and to get your opinions and constructive critisism.

So far i havent bought ANY equipment originaly intended for this build, BUT i have four(4) Seas 8" midbass drivers so far at my disposal.

I have found use for two of them, in the front doors. Most likely, the other two wont get used this time around. I do have an aftermarket single-DIN headunit,

but i want a double-DIN in time. As far as the frontstage concerns I'm aiming for a fully active 3-way setup, but i will start of with a single fullrange driver on each side, as opposed seperate mid/highs in the dash. It will save me two amp channels and the price of the tweets. It might even be a good thing, i haven't seen much use of fullrange drivers around here. I'm also going to want some heavier low end output, and at the time im thinking two 10" quality woofers, one over each of the rear wheel wells, with the amp rack between them.

Stuff i need/Shoppinglist(Pretty much everything):

- Two 4" midrange drivers (No, two 4" fullrange drivers)

- A pair of tweeters (not yet)

- The woofers

- The amps to power it all, preferably Mosconi amps all around, but they are pricey so I may have to settle with somethig else to begin with

- Prosessor, but to begin with i can use the built in x-overs in the amps

- Better batt(s), XS Power would be nice

- Dampening mats, i wont go all out with theese in such a beat up car

- Materials to build with: I'll make frames and stuff with materials we have laying around, plywood for panels and boxes to keep the wheight down, vinyl/Skai to cover things up nice and clean and plexi/acrylic glass over the amps.

- Cables and fittings etc.

Information on the exact components wil come when i have decided (look on page 2).

For the time being I'm just doing some window shopping, but that doesn't mean im all talk and no show, i have started on the mounting of the door speakers!

PICS!

First off, the car:

IMAG0455.jpg

IMAG0459.jpg

IMAG0479.jpg

I think it got potential to sound good, pics of the underside may come later

IMAG0458.jpg

On to the doors:

IMAG0506.jpg

Marking of the dash

IMAG0507.jpg

And so on

IMAG0508.jpg

IMAG0509.jpg

Figuring out the layout and masking it of

IMAG0513.jpg

IMAG0515.jpg

Fiberglass and resin

IMAG0511.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

Got my frame

IMAG0518.jpg

Trimming

IMAG0543.jpg

Reinforcement

IMAG0524.jpg

The wood

IMAG0521.jpg

IMAG0522.jpg

In place with wood sticks and hotglue

IMAG0531.jpg

The edges were rounded with a borrowed router, but the next day my dad bought this Bosch Pro Series

IMAG0542.jpg

Wrapped and resined

IMAG0538.jpg

IMAG0537.jpg

IMAG0535.jpg

IMAG0539.jpg

Left and right

IMAG0549.jpg[/size]

Aaaaand thats pretty much where it's at right now, next step is to reinforce those speaker pods from the inside with the fiberglass and take it from there. Comments, questions and thoughts are welcome and wanted :woot:

Ok, I'm interested! What are you taking pics with? Seems kinda blurry and cloudy. Not so clear. Not to bash, sorry not my intention. Just letting you know. I like the progress so far.

Lol

But awesome work man... How are you going to attach it to the panel? Is it just gonna rest on top or are you glassing it all in. yup im a noob so it may seem like a dumb question

13 Kia Forte Build!

07 Hyundai Accent Build

***Super Seller***

N8ball2013

And then he gets to say ok all you guys were right. im sorry for being a dummy poo poo head.

ndjs.jpg

great start!!!

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Interesting ... I'm tuned in for this one ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Pics are of my phone, and many of them from inside the garage with bad light contitions for pictures.

Sorry about that, but aleast you get the idea of things :) But if there's an interest I'll see if i can find a better camera,

and put some more effort into the pics..

I didn't get around to explain the doors in my first post so I'll have to clarify. Normally what people do with the doors is to buy a set of used panels for cutting and stuff, but i don't have too much founds yet as i have just finished school for now, and I'm just savouring the freedom for a while before i try to get a job. The place isn't exactly crouded with theese cars either. So what I'm trying to achieve is to buld the pods (or whatewer :shrug: ) on the outside of the doors so i can pretty much finish them without damaging the door panels. So yes, they're going to "rest" on top. There are many types of theese wonder sealants/glues i can combine with maybe a bolting solution to attach it. I'll MAKE it work anyway.(And that was definately not a dumb question!) I just hope it's all strong enough to bare the weight. But with the way the panels mount, I think I'm fine :peepwall:

Sorry didn't mean to sound negative. Just reread what I wrote and it sounded kinda crappy. My bad! Wasn't intended to be like that. Just constructive criticism.

Also on the door panel, you could reinforce the panel by glassing on the back side of it where the driver pod is. If you have room you could put in some mdf blocks in there as well. Use them as two fold. Strength, and somehow incorporate some threaded inserts into them. You could then screw the pod onto the door panel like that. If you ever removed it you could throw the pocket back on, and wouldn't see the holes for the most part. Just a thought.

Why didn't you glass the whole back of the pod? Looks like you were going to, and then you just went around the outter perimeter.

Sorry didn't mean to sound negative. Just reread what I wrote and it sounded kinda crappy. My bad! Wasn't intended to be like that. Just constructive criticism.

It's all :good: And i did ask for it so i appreciate it.

Also on the door panel, you could reinforce the panel by glassing on the back side of it where the driver pod is. If you have room you could put in some mdf blocks in there as well. Use them as two fold. Strength, and somehow incorporate some threaded inserts into them. You could then screw the pod onto the door panel like that. If you ever removed it you could throw the pocket back on, and wouldn't see the holes for the most part. Just a thought.

The thought on glassing has crossed my mind.. I hadn't thought about using the mdf like that. If you look at the picture where i just loosened the door panel, you can see some bolts where the panel screwes in. Two of them in just the same height as the pocket. So even with just those i think i can get a pletty good hold. And if i also strengthen up the back a little, I think it might turn out solid enough.

Why didn't you glass the whole back of the pod? Looks like you were going to, and then you just went around the outter perimeter.

My reason for doing it like that is to have accsess to the backside of the fabric. Then i can put my layers og fiberglass on the backside and save myself a lot of sanding on the outside. Just the fabric itself and the resin leaves a much more even surface, than if i were to put the mats on the outside.

Apart from this, i bought bodyfiller today, both with and without fiberglass in it. So i hope to get som filling and sanding going soon, and I'll try to get some pics of it :) Im also hoping to get my false floor/amp rack going some time this decade....

Doing work, but i still have a little bit of filling/sanding to do.. I want to cover theese in foam backed vinyl, anyone think i will have any trouble with that? I know about using heat to soften up the vinyl to make it strech, but would the foam give me trouble? Any advise on this would be helpfull!

IMAG0582.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

IMAG0584.jpg

IMAG0585.jpg

IMAG0586.jpg

IMAG0587.jpg

IMAG0588.jpg

IMAG0589.jpg

Yes, they are in the correct order.

I was at a buddies house the other day, and their cat jumped in my and made itself comfortable.

And would you just look at that AWESOME headliner!

IMAG0563.jpg

Archived