Small Tang Band build - 4" fullrange

Here's another little winter project of mine ^_^

If you look at my Saab build you'll se that I've been wanting to try theese speakers for some time now.
I finally get to test them, and to begin with I'll use them as my computer speakers. The only filtering I have on them is a notch filter to calm down the break-up in the top. They are driven by a NAD stereo receiver. I would like to get another amp with higher SQ abilities and a DAC for my computer, but I can't afford that right now.

They are in 5L sealed enclosures, with some stuffing on the inside. I haven't got to play them propperly as it got a little late before I got them together, but I have a few pics at least. I'm quite pleased with the enclosures!

IMAG1331_zpsea24e3be.jpg

IMAG1332_zpsa974c1c4.jpg

IMAG1333_zps0415bb24.jpg

IMAG1335_zpsd2518001.jpg

IMAG1336_zps9560f375.jpg

IMAG1338_zps378c91ea.jpg

IMAG1339_zps6c4205b7.jpg

IMAG1340_zps411da013.jpg

I very much appreciate comments :wub:

Nice drivers and nice craftsmanship. I've heard great things about those little drivers.

Would love to know how they sound.

You and me both!

The online reviews on theese are very positive, so I hope they live up to that.

beautiful. would love to do that for all my miss-matched speakers for my computer haha

Thanks!

Go for it dude, and post pics :good:

After some more playtime I'll have to say I'm very pleased with them! Even more so as i got them at a 3rd of original price.

To begin with I only had a suggested notch filter on them, and they sounded good, but there was a component of stress present in the sound if that makes sense.

Also kind of a unnatural clarity created from the high freqs being a little loud.

Now though, I've added a 6db low-pass filter that takes effect from around 10khz and up. I feel like they sound more natural and guitars and stuff sound more real.

There's still plenty of detail up top, so I think it was a very appropriate adition.

To bad I have kind of a sucky signal from my computer. With a propper source these should really come to life, but I can still enjoy the music ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently borrowing one of theese from a buddy. Gives a good clean signal without all the different noises I got from the stock mini-jack outputs.

I tried an aftermarked sound card, with little luck. Still had a buzzing sound present.

A DAC is definitely something I need for my computer if I'm to ever get close to Hi-fi.

abrahamsen-a-dac-usb.jpg

• 5 years later...

Archived