Sonic Electronix

Generic daily music tune??

38 hz is a great tune for regular music, It will even do with c&s music. where youre tuned now is fine. If you want to play super slowed music and still do everything else you can go down to 34.

you ALWAYS need to use a subsonic filter, Your box wont perform well too far under tuning, but it will start to rip your sub apart.

I'll keep it at 38 then. So subsonic at 38? or should i go a little under or a little over?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

I like how everybody is guessing at this

no one will be able to tell you what to "tune" to

the resonant freq of your port means little by it self. a stereo is called a system because everything thing needs to work together. make the box around your sub/car/listening habits.

contrary to what 99% of people do these days, you can not just pick a random number out of thin air and expect it to work right.

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

If this is a stupid question, I'm sorry. But i just read in that "some maybe basic questions" some guy was saying "you don't need a subsonic filter with a half-way decent 12 like that"

Is that accurate?? the only reason i was going to change my box was so i could lower my subsonic and stop cutting off bass, but if lowering it wont bother my sub, i'll just do it anyway, i know it wont be as loud on those lower frequencies, but it'll at least play them. If thats an accurate statement ^

You can download test tone sweeps(I know roe used to have them, not sure anymore) and just set your SSF by using that. Just do a sweep and continue to lower you SSF until you get to the point where you're at the limits of the sub below box tuning, and then turn the SSF a hair up to be safe.

i got mine for pwk's website, has a few songs then from track 7 to like 80 is just sweeps and different tones

38 hz is a great tune for regular music, It will even do with c&s music. where youre tuned now is fine. If you want to play super slowed music and still do everything else you can go down to 34.

Ehhh, I can't agree with this statement. If you're just after a lot of output, sure. But I'd rather not have a 6db+ difference in my response curve from 45hz to 30hz. There are very few instances where a 38hz tuning is going to give you good output down to 30hz without having the output be a good deal lower than the higher frequencies. A smooth curve is what a daily box is all about. You shouldn't have to change your bass knob or any settings on the HU because you go from a song that doesn't dip below 40hz to one that does.

For instance, my truck peaks at 57hz. I had a semi-wall with three Mach 5 MJ-18's tuned to 32hz...still peaked at 57hz, was 2db down at 35hz, and 4db down at 30hz. With my 10" Assassin in a 28hz box...still peaking at 57hz, but only 3db down at 28hz, and 6db down at 23hz. I can't imagine how peaky the response would be with a 38hz tuning, but this is just my example.

What'd you tune that AP sub to in your avatar? I can guarantee you a 38hz tuning would be nowhere near ideal for that sub.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Ehhh, I can't agree with this statement. If you want a peaky box, sure. But I'd rather not have a 6db+ difference in my response curve from 45hz to 30hz.

for generic daily music there arent alot of songs that will go that low, I know you think your the best box builder here since you have your own site...

with the ss set right on a box tuned at 38 it shouldnt be super loud at 30hz

Ehhh, I can't agree with this statement. If you're just after a lot of output, sure. But I'd rather not have a 6db+ difference in my response curve from 45hz to 30hz. There are very few instances where a 38hz tuning is going to give you good output down to 30hz without having the output be a good deal lower than the higher frequencies. A smooth curve is what a daily box is all about. You shouldn't have to change your bass knob or any settings on the HU because you go from a song that doesn't dip below 40hz to one that does.

For instance, my truck peaks at 57hz. I had a semi-wall with three Mach 5 MJ-18's tuned to 32hz...still peaked at 57hz, was 2db down at 35hz, and 4db down at 30hz. With my 10" Assassin in a 28hz box...still peaking at 57hz, but only 3db down at 28hz, and 6db down at 23hz. I can't imagine how peaky the response would be with a 38hz tuning, but this is just my example.

ok......

for generic daily music there arent alot of songs that will go that low, I know you think your the best box builder here since you have your own site...

with the ss set right on a box tuned at 38 it shouldnt be super loud at 30hz

Having a hard time taking criticism? You stated your opinion, and I stated mine. But notice how I didn't have to take a jab at you in the process. The point isn't whether or not there are a lot of songs that go that low, but that when you do play something that low you don't want your sub to fall on it's face.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

the resonant freq of your port means little by it self. a stereo is called a system because everything thing needs to work together. make the box around your sub/car/listening habits.

contrary to what 99% of people do these days, you can not just pick a random number out of thin air and expect it to work right.

This^

Ok, so how do i figure out what frequency to use for my sub/car/listening habits? lol

I have a car, subs in the trunk firing back, ports firing at the trunk wall, it's two subs in the same box but not a shared chamber.. Right now its 1.65 cubes per sub with a 3 inch diameter port thats 5.5 inches long. that's 39hz. I listen to rap and techno. Soooo where do i start? lol

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

measure your windshield to back window

side window to other side window

then calculate your box based around the specs you just found using those as a sealed chamber around the box

it won't be perfect but it is much closer than picking a random tuning freq

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

Archived