Sundown Audio

Cooked my amp

ahoz28

This is the SMD forum, useless without pics., plz show us the blown amp and your electrical upgrades, and how many RF 4 K are you running?

These are rough pics from my phone. I will take pics of the amps that broke later when done taking everything apart.

You can fix it your self if your know the basics of electronics, solder iron, multimeter and so on to fix the amp. The parts that blew where MOSFETs for the power supply and possible some gate resistors and driver transistors <--- needs to work in order for the amp to work. And also check the output transistors. I don't know about this giant amp but just a few basic tips to give ya..... Good luck & sorry for your loss :/

Oh here's a good web site that will help you fix this http://www.diyaudio.com/ go to the left on forums go to car audio and post your prob and they will aide you on checking things.

My small system:

Rockford Fosgate Punch 200.2

Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC 12"

You can fix it your self if your know the basics of electronics, solder iron, multimeter and so on to fix the amp. The parts that blew where MOSFETs for the power supply and possible some gate resistors and driver transistors <--- needs to work in order for the amp to work. And also check the output transistors. I don't know about this giant amp but just a few basic tips to give ya..... Good luck & sorry for your loss :/

Oh here's a good web site that will help you fix this http://www.diyaudio.com/ go to the left on forums go to car audio and post your prob and they will aide you on checking things.

Good information might have to try it.

Don't even bother trying to fix an amp like this. You need a scope, for a start, and a couple of years experience fixing other big amps. Plus these amps use heaps of surface mount (not to mention that god-damned MEHSA) parts so you need to be able to do SM rework as well.

I've never seen damage to caps like that. It really, really looks to me like the caps were rubbing really badly on the casing and they wore through and created a short across the power supply section which blew the MOSFETs.

Low voltage doesn't blow amps. That's a myth.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

DBR electronics from Texas would not fix my amp. He didn't say why maybe old or bad technology. :shrug:

Call RF.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Archived