ok my moms computer is kinda slow, takes like almost 10-15 mins to fully boot up and things open slowly n stuff. my gf's home computer is the "exact" same one with the exception of an intel p4ht instead of amd athlon 64, and 1g memory instead of 512. and hers is fast(er), boots up in less that 5 mins and things open fast n stuff. now would adding a stick of memory make my moms faster? or is the amd just junk? i think both. ne wayz would it matter what brand and size we put in? like its got 1-512mb so can we add say 1-1g or 1-256mb of a different brand? or does everything have to be the same?

thanks

personally I think the computer is just cluttered up, 512 ram is plenty for windows xp (im guessing thats what you're running)

I think a reformat would make the computer perform faster. And thats free to do too :)

And to answer your question, it doesn't matter what brand you put in as long as its the right kind of ram such as pc3200 pc4200 etc

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

yes its xp. its been the same from day one, when she opened the box and hooked it up. i personally think its the cpu, AMD. i have never liked a computer that has one, out of the ones ive used neway. just seems that the intel's are better. my bro's got a dell with a p4 and 256mb ram, and a shit ton of stuff on it and its still pretty fast, slow some times but arent they all...... oh well not mine i guess, so icant be picky

thanks

Lets not be so quick to judge AMD... You have to remember that almost all of the time when your computer is slowing up it is due to a bottle neck, possibly in the ram or how ever you hard drive connects (IDE is slow!). Most of the time your CPU IS WAITING FOR YOUR OTHER COMPONENTS.... Tests also show that 13% of computer "lock up's" or "slow phases" are due to inadequate power, but save that for the last resort. IMO amd's technology is better then intel but that is a whole other thread and I dont want to start, so please no jacking this guys thread. Anyways look at up grading the HDD to SATA if at all possible... I have had my computer for 3 years now, and my AMD processor has worked wonders, but I will admit, my computer does slow up from time to time, but when I monitor it with Winbar my CPU never goes above 30% during these "slow" phases... Do you know if your GF's computer has SATA hard drive?

P.S. The amount of ram (1 gig of your GF's compared to your 512) is a big difference...

Edited by Cdizzle

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif