97 Dodge Caravan Sport *new vehicle*/ Malibu build PGS 1-22

Well the idea worked. The accuracy and group delay is dead on. It is the best sounding setup I have had in the car so far. "Pat's self on back." It is suprisingly loud;.almost as loud as my sealed wall if you can believe that. It doesn't play the twenties like the wall did but they are there and I look at it as a far trade off. Red hot chili peppers and Chevelle were dead on. I thought it would be an improvement but am really surprised. I have the frontstage dialed in and matched with the subs and it is straight murder now.

There are a couple problems though. The trunk lid and the rear deck are making noise so when I take the baffle out to carpet it I will need to do something about that. Other than that I am really happy with how it turned out. Below is a video of me explaining a little more and playing a couple tracks. The horns in that squirrel nut zippers track sounds really awesome.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

I like the new setup, very interesting, and it's cool that is it almost as loud as your sealed wall, but you got some leg room back.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

I like the new setup, very interesting, and it's cool that is it almost as loud as your sealed wall, but you got some leg room back.

Thx. Yeah I got all my legroom back. It made the front stage feel so much wider and deeper as opposed to being on top of the steering wheel basically. I was so surprised when I first fired it up. I didn't think it could get that loud. The rear deck noise was chapping my ass though and it is on the top of my to do list.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

• 4 weeks later...

You're making me consider going infinite baffle! :) Not sure if my Obsidians would be good for the job though, considering my amp. :P

Looks great man! :)

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

You're making me consider going infinite baffle! :) Not sure if my Obsidians would be good for the job though, considering my amp. :P

Looks great man! :)

Thx. Once you do it you will not want to go back to any other setup. It is so simple to build and is so musical. You lose some output but I will happily take that trade-off. I am sure it will do 140 on the term lab. I don't know how the obsidian would perform. If you were to try it I would make sure you have your ssf set and baby the gains. My subs are only on ~300watts, but I have the cone area to make up for it.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

nice

Thx. Sounds good now I'm waiting on some school money to come so I can get some interior panels and start making it pretty. I really want to trim out the trunk.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

• 3 weeks later...

Well were at it again. Some school money came through so we are able to get a little work done. If you saw the recent purchase thread you see I got some new gear and stuff to convert the interior to black. Today I took the horns out and put some lightweight vinyl deaden-er on them I got from PE. There is 2 layers on each side overlapped. It should take some of the ringing out of the horn bodies. I may add some non hardening modeling clay to them as well. I see a lot of the pros using that trick and they say it makes a measurable improvement. Here are a couple pics. The flat head bolts are great to attach some heavy duty zip-ties to hold the rear of the horn.

a143-1_zps0c17580c.jpg

a144-2_zps0afc335b.jpg

Onto the speakers. As I mentioned in a few threads i am upgrading the frontstage to improve dynamics and overall sq. The plan was to put these in the kick panels but after laying under the dash for two hours today I realized I just can't make it work so I will be putting them in the doors. There is an un-re-locatable omputer module on the drivers side and passenger side. They should do quite well and we are talking about a 12" after all. Here are a few pics and a link to the driver on usspeaker.com. Funny Enough it came in an MTX box. lol

a136_zps0f2e57a5.jpg

a137_zps3bbe0edb.jpg

a139_zpsdae6dacc.jpg

a141_zps42c3cd2e.jpg

http://www.usspeaker.com/BETA12LT-1.htm

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

I also got a bunch of carpeting and some floor mats in so I started working on changing the interior over to black. I used some black vinyl paint on the B pillar and C pillars but still have to touch up the dash, steering wheel, and the shifter. I have been looking at black lace ups to that end and the seats aren't done either. The new carpeting on the floor is done and it looks nicer than i thought it would. Most of the heavy lifting is done. Just need to touch u a few places. I am going to break down the doors tomorrow and rebuild them with just a pod for the 12" rather than a full wrap. Sooooo much easier and a lot less materials. The doors will be painted black and the pods will be wrapped in the same carpet as the floor as well as the carpet insert in the door.

a149_zps57a6db35.jpg

a150-1_zps8484416c.jpg

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple update pics. Now these are far from done but you can get a good idea of where I'm at with em' After I tore the door panels apart I saw that they aren't salvageable. That didn't stop me from building the molds since all I will need to bolt them to the new ones I get next month. Here are a few pictures...

a152_zps88c1df59.jpg

You can see from the above pictures how I built the initial mold before i wrapped it. I laid down 2 layers of tape. Then I did one layer fiberglass cloth and three layers of chop matte. After that cured I put a layer of dynahair over the entire mold and it is strong as fuck. You can see the dynahair on this picture.

a154_zps1be86113.jpg

Here is a pic with the pod sitting on the door and a better look at the overall condition of the old panels. I still need to hit it with a few layers of chop matte, dynaglass, and some body filler. When that is done I will add some non hardening modeling clay to the inside of the pod to kill any resonances, carpet it and find some way to bolt it to the door panel. I may add some mdf and mold it into the pod to create a more sturdy mount location.

a156_zpsa0f3820a.jpg

I'll have another update on these around the first. I haven't cut out the back yet since when I wrapped and glassed it I didn't want to lose any rigidity.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Archived