97 Dodge Caravan Sport *new vehicle*/ Malibu build PGS 1-22

The hard part lol.

Yeah the eq'ing is like trying to learn a whole new skill but it is crazy fun... and difficult. I think I will get a second eq so I have a 30 band for each side. Let's hope I don't have a nervous breakdown when I go to tune it. lol When I add a center I will get a third and am positive i will be pulling my hair out. The horns are great but i am having trouble tuning for both seats. I think it's a phasing issue but have been going for tonality so far so I haven't tried wiring a midbass out of phase (which should fix the problem) When i get a second eq it will be even more difficult to tune. The center channel is like a cheat but i don't mind. I would like it to sound awesome in both seats.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while coming. I have had two walls in the car. The second one was much louder than the first and I'm sure I got that 150 but have no proof of it. It just felt like it was time for a change. I have been doing a lot more critical listening and the wall was getting in the way. The lack of legroom was bugging me too and being so close to the dash was messing with my perception of the soundstage. I have added back the 8" to the kickpanels and am more than pleased with how they sound. They do need some fiberglass pods to complete their instillation though.

">http://a884_zps5406e547.jpg

It's not the end though. I will be doing an Infinite Baffle setup with three of the 18" and will start that build on the first of the month. It should come together pretty quickly and easily. They will be on ~500-750 watts total. Nothing too crazy. Just something to round off the low end. There is some interior painting to panels that needs to be done and I need to replace the headliner.

I am also looking at minivans and suv's so I can do another wall with some real subs but it may be fall before anything becomes of that. I don't want to mention more until I see what the money situation is like this summer.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Sad to see the wall go, but I'm excited for the infinite baffle build :)

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Y U DO DIS?

Jk bro. I have a feeling this next build is gonna be great whenever it's done.

Lane AKA HeroKight

'96 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

That's a category 5 shit storm coming

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

^^^Rules. Follow them.^^^

• 2 weeks later...

Tuned in for the changes. I really like how you don't get attached to stuff too much to change it. Not afraid to keep on working on it.

I get so attached to things. if they are good or not... lol

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Sad to see the wall go, but I'm excited for the infinite baffle build :)

Me too. I am still working on it at the moment but it should be playing tom. or monday.

Y U DO DIS?

Jk bro. I have a feeling this next build is gonna be great whenever it's done.

Let's hope so

What killed the 21s idea

Nothing really. I had the 18's already and wanted to do them first. The 21" I want are pretty pricey, like 1100 for the pair. :(

Tuned in for the changes. I really like how you don't get attached to stuff too much to change it. Not afraid to keep on working on it.

I get so attached to things. if they are good or not... lol

Yeah, I get bored quick. The frontstage sounds awesome now but I will be changing it in a bit too. The horns are staying though. They are my favorite thing ever. lol If you want it to be the best you can you have to be willing to sacrifice all the work you did before. Just like a band aid; you just rip it off. You're really only out the price of wood and materials. You don't lose any of the experience gained though so I look at it like I am always moving forward. If I had real money to work on it I would be changing things all the time. I really want it to be finished but at the same time I learn so much more when I am experimenting with stuff. I' will try to put a couple pictures up tonight.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

What subs are you using for your IB setup? I have only seen marine speakers that work for this so far :shrug:

I am using the subs I had in the wall. If you look back 15 pages or so you can see I used them before in IB and they worked great. Subs with a low qts and a high vas are a good bet. Really any sub will work in IB but ones with a stiffer suspension work better. It gives you better control over the suspension since the subs really have nothing to react against.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

I got the baffle installed today. It isn't playing yet but will be tomorrow. Here are a few pictures of the build.

a979_zpse48b9c7d.jpg

a980_zps8b208d33.jpg

I cut a rectangle shaped opening in the second piece before I glued and screwed it together. In retrospect it wasn't the best idea so I ended up using a couple hourglass shaped pieces to add the reinforcement back. The metal L brackets are used to hold the top piece in place along with some coarse thread screws mating the two mdf pieces together.

a985_zps1ab2424f.jpg

Here is a picture of the baffle with both the top and the bottom pieces on. Sum'bitch was getting heavy. It is bolted to the car at the top and metal brackets attach it to the car at the bottom.

a987_zps56e1acb1.jpg

The baffle installed with the subs in. The bolts holes holding the subs aren't the same but I really don't mind. I suppose if I wanted to change it would take all of five minutes. The carpeted area below is going to have 4 10" midbass drivers playing from 60-250hz. They will be ones like those in the door. A new pro audio 8 or 10" will be installed in the door in their place. I'll have a video of it playing tomorrow along with some impressions once I eq it and level match to the frontstage.

a988_zps6bacfca0.jpg

a993_zpsd4ab4c72.jpg

Here is a shot from the back. As you can see I need to do some sanding to smooth the areas on the rear of the baffle out. I will get to that when I carpet it. I do have a couple concerns about the baffle though. The two outer subs sit close to the towers so I'm not sure what "loading" effect that may have. This whole idea could be a failure but I am only one sheet of mdf in it so I am excited either way. The foam you can see is to close any air gaps. If this idea works out I will use something more permanent to seal the gaps.

a992_zps5b8a1176.jpg

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Archived