CD/DVD drive not working

This is on my laptop, and its like nonexistent. I don't see it on my computer, and when i press the button nothing happens. The light doesn't flash yellow or green (I don't remember what color) like it normally does.

Any ideas? :shrug:

edit: and if this matters, I'm running vista

Edited by byers319

Depending on the laptop you could reseat the drive by removing a screw on the bottom and pulling the drive out. Boot up the computer, shut down the computer, reinstall drive, start computer back up. Alot of times that wont work and it winds up being a registry error, and that is not something I could tell you how to do with the amount of information I have. Also you could check device manager and see if any of the icons have an explanation point on them. Good luck :drinks:

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

well i tried removing it and that whole deal, but to no success.

another thing i should note tho, when i start up my laptop there's a white screen that pops up and says something about the device in the system modular bay can not be identified. Now its popped up for a while, and the drive worked for a little bit after that window would pop up. When I started up my computer without the drive in, that window did not pop up.

:shrug:

Go into device manager and see if the drive is listed, if it is right click on it and uninstall it and then reboot your PC.

Just did that, and it said it installed successfully.

Then the white window popped up when rebooting, and it still doesn't work.

I'm starting to wonder if something inside got disconnected from it? Or it just wore out? :trippy:

its possible the connector to the mother board is connected but the power supply may have become disconnected, but thats highly doubtful in a laptop, would take quite a jolting for that to happen, they arent normally able to just loosely fall out overtime

did you by chance update the firmware for the disc drive, sometimes when flashing the firmware it can become corrupt and as far as the computer knows its not even there

when you boot up and go into the bios is it listed as a drive on the computer, does it give you an option to boot form that drive.

try going on the net to the laptop manufacturer and just to be safe look up the cd/dvd driver that came factory installed on your computer and download and install that again, maybe a reg file got corrupt and its not recognizing the issue