my first call was a dud. turned around mid call got cancelled.

My first real call was a rescue. one trapped. we were first due but only have a rescue engine, and the closest squad was far away.

Poor guy.

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

just curious but what's a probationary firefighter?

c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old.

i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan

Build in Progress

Wait. Did you say there was a 15 year old kid? WTF?

A lot of departments have explorer programs that introduce high school kids to firefighting. Basically, they are the "go-fers" at a fire. Help carry equipment and such. They don't get to go into a working fire (structure fires anyway), but sometimes get to participate in the salvage and overhaul.

Nail on the head. Under 18 is what considered a "Junior" firefighter, as mentioned they can't go into working buildings, but they are basically gophers.

my first call was a dud. turned around mid call got cancelled.

My first real call was a rescue. one trapped. we were first due but only have a rescue engine, and the closest squad was far away.

Poor guy.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Had a call like that the other night actually, was enroute for a possible structure fire, they needed a RIT team on another dept. Was a false alarm, someone burnt some bread and never bothered to call the alarm company or 911 and say what it was...

I'm considering being a volunteer this summer. Not sure what to expect, haha, but it should be interesting.

Do it. Find a couple friends that are on one in your district, and get them to vouch for you. I've had a blast at mine.

april 5th i will be a volunteer firefighter im just counting down the days seems like im waiting forever congrats on ur first fire call :good:

Thanks. Good luck with you!

Most places have a 90 day probation period which means you better do you're best in that 90 days Orr you gonna get cut.

Pretty much. It's 6 months here, just a "get to know each other" kind of deal, where you learn the basics, and the people, and you get voted on or off at the end by the entire department. Majority vote. Things are looking up so far.

As a side note, I went by that house today on my way to H-town from my dad's, and there were 4 or 5 people outside (2 of them being kids) burning piles of wood on the old remains like it was a campfire. No idea if the primary department had given them permission or what, but I actually felt like shit. They expect us to do all that work, and they go and finish burning it down. Thank god it was a cold day, or we would be out in brush trucks again. :trippy:

POTATO!

That's messed up that they were out there finishing it up. It kinda seems like they wanted it to go down to try and collect off of it.

How much longer on you're 6 months you have left? And you gonna be going for you're medic also?

Tell me about it. I asked my chief & he said let it go, if the neighbors are bothered they'll call 911.

I just joined on the 8th, so another 5 months. Everyone seems to like me though, they know I won't fuck up & I'm willing to help. It will be a while, but the chief thinks I'll definitely make it.

One of the higher up members is wanting to start an EMT class, so I may also go for the EMT certification. EMT's are usually able to respond in POV's straight to the scene if they have their bunker gear with them.

POTATO!

Yeah you have to get pure EMT certification first, then you can go for you're medic. Around me if you have you're 240 medic you won't have a problem getting into fire or EMS. Plus you could work both fire and EMS a bunch of guys that I work with do both.

That's how my friend was going to do, hes a combat medic in the Army and works for MTS Ambulance services, and was going to be on the local VFD, 'till other plans got in the way...he was going to be on the same VFD that was in command of the trailer fire.

POTATO!