Dual Yellow Top Optimas

OK......I have searched the forum before posting this and have not found the info I need. I am running a dual battery set-up and both batteries are in the engine compartment. I have both batteries hooked up and when I test them with a volt meter it reads 24v for not even a half second then settles on 12.2v. I was wondering if I should be worried about it going to 24v in the first place or not worry about it because its just a short spike just from touching it to where I need to for testing it. Also, should I get a battery isolator? I still have the stock 120Amp alternator. Just so you guys know, I'm going from the main battery to the secondary battery, and the secondary battery to the amps. So basically, alternator is charging the main battery, main battery charging the secondary and secondary powering my amps. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by Torquemaster69

I'm not shy, I'm just hiding how awesome I am so I don't intimidate you.

4 DVC 15" Lanzar Heritage Subwoofers

2 Soundstorm Labs 2600.2 Amplifiers

2 Yellow Top Optima Batteries

1 8 Farad Soundstream Capacitor

12 Inch Motorized Flipdown Screen

Black Suede Roofline

is it all + to + and - to -? double check that. if you are seeing 24v anywhere you are going to hurt something in the car. could be just the DMM but 24v is exactly where you would be if you wired in series so that worries me.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

what kind of meter are you using? If its an old analog pos then throw it out and get a real one.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

what kind of meter are you using? If its an old analog pos then throw it out and get a real one.

I cant remember the brand....but it is a digital one with the red crab claw things on the end

Black Suede Roofline

How did you wire the two batteries? Just as Skittles asked...

+ to + and - to -

or...

+ to - and + to -

The first combination is called "parallel" and should yield a 12V reading. The second combination is called "series" and would yield a 24V reading. If you were to run your vehicle at 24V, a lot of your factory electrical components would fry.

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

^ What these guys said. However I can't really think of anything that would cause it to spike like that then settle down to the 12.2v area. See if a neighbor or someone has a DMM you can borrow just to test if it does the same thing. If not, than it's just your DMM.

I like the oldschool one..

TDHsiggy.png

Current System: Stock 2011 Tahoe

Loud as F**K

Just kidding

here is an idea. disconnect one battery and test it. see if your meter still does the same thing. if not, test the other battery that is still hooked up.

if the disconnected battery still says 24v then drops to 12v, i would be confident that its just your meter.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

ok.....I fixed my battery problem. Turns out it was my meter. I tried 2 other meters to make sure and everything read 12v. Thanks guys for all the input. I juts need to tube my system now....has alot of bass, but doesnt quite sond right at the moment

Edited by Torquemaster69

Black Suede Roofline

tube?

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.