Second Skin Audio

DC + Hole = HELP!

I bought some used DC subs online and when the came, one has a hair line tear in the surround. It looks like someone has already tried to patch it on the back side. The patch job seems to be holding ok but there is still a little space where I can see all the way through, maybe a quarter inch or so. What can I do to fix this? Is it easy or would it be better to check with a local car audio place?

i can not for the life of me get a pic that shows the tear. I'm sure you know what I mean though.

Edited by akrja_07

2001 Chevy Silverado Ext. cab - Kenwood KIV-BT901 - 2x 12" DC Audio level 3 m2D1 in 4.2 cuft. @29Hz. - DC Audio 2.0k - Alpine Type-X components - US Amps USA-4300x - XS Power D4700 - Bosch 145a alternator

I tried to call DC but I am assuming they're closed today because I got no answer, twice. I called 3 local shops here and they all say a high grade silicone... Do you guys agree?? I would really like something that will give me a reliable hold so I don't have to inspect the surround every day to be sure it's holding.

Off topic - NONE of the 3 shops I called have ever heard of DC audio... :shok:

2001 Chevy Silverado Ext. cab - Kenwood KIV-BT901 - 2x 12" DC Audio level 3 m2D1 in 4.2 cuft. @29Hz. - DC Audio 2.0k - Alpine Type-X components - US Amps USA-4300x - XS Power D4700 - Bosch 145a alternator

I tried to call DC but I am assuming they're closed today because I got no answer, twice. I called 3 local shops here and they all say a high grade silicone... Do you guys agree?? I would really like something that will give me a reliable hold so I don't have to inspect the surround every day to be sure it's holding.

most companys wont know DC... cause DC dose not build product stock..there woofers are build per order in the USA... not built in china and shipped to the US... there are three people that make up DC audio... rusty, ana, and rob... they are swamped right now and they just got back from finals

they make a rubber ca type glue that can be used... I have seen people use silcone caulk in a pinch (i would get the right stuff if you have the time)

I got a hold of rob.....

he said use goop

amazing-goop-craft-tube-glue-001.jpg

What did you call his cell phone... lol, just kidding. GOOP! Sounds like a plan, I'm gonna go get it now! Thank you!

most companys wont know DC... cause DC dose not build product stock..there woofers are build per order in the USA... not built in china and shipped to the US... there are three people that make up DC audio... rusty, ana, and rob... they are swamped right now and they just got back from finals

they make a rubber ca type glue that can be used... I have seen people use silcone caulk in a pinch (i would get the right stuff if you have the time)

I got a hold of rob.....

he said use goop

amazing-goop-craft-tube-glue-001.jpg

:good: Just used this to fix a tear in a Level 5 (: works like a charm. dont expect pretty results though

The IrishmanDCSig.jpgCheck out my build hereXL 4th order wall build logIn Progress:alpine cda HU4th order Bandpass2xl 15's1- ab 400.1 (gonna be two hopefully)4- Crescendo 8's2- xts crecendo supertweeters

2 sq super tweetsMb quart 4.125Mechman 270a alt1- xs D27003- xs XP3000

4- odessey pc1700seller feed back threadhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136418-d-train-13k/

put the goop on the back then it wont matter if its pretty ;)

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

What did you call his cell phone... lol, just kidding. GOOP! Sounds like a plan, I'm gonna go get it now! Thank you!

YES I DID i actually texted him.... (no you cant have it...lmao)

Dc is stupid busy... so If i can field any questions to help I will there phone rings non stop all day long.... glad I could help ya

Dc is stupid busy... so If i can field any questions to help I will there phone rings non stop all day long.... glad I could help ya

Holy shit your actually on SMD?!

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

Yes I had read prior to posting that they were tied up building woofers for competitions and whatnot so thanks man, I really appreciate it! I haven't actually done this yet but I will try to do it tomorrow!! Thanks everyone and I'll update with results.

Off topic; I really should look into finally putting texting on my phone... B)