Second Skin Audio

Deadener on the enclosure?

Bakerman

Was ridin around, and it hiit me. Just a thought. Has anyone ever covered the outside, or lined the inside of an enclosure with a deadener? Just curious if this would possibly have negative or positive effects.

mivtCK.png

i seen a guy with two 15 inch mojos and the box was covered in deadner on the inside, he got about 1 db gain. and was doing about 155.

REFF'S
My link
EBAY
http://feedback.ebay...ck&myworld=true
I love car audio so much because I will never be done. I can never win, and I will never get it finished or perfect. It always has me coming back for more, I can never get my fill of it, but I get what I need.

i seen a guy with two 15 inch mojos and the box was covered in deadner on the inside, he got about 1 db gain. and was doing about 155.

It probably had nothing to do with adding mass to the walls though. It was more than likely due to the smoother surface inside the box, promoting smoother air flow. And also because the volume would have been a little lower and raised tuning a little. You generally don't want to add mass and lower the resonant frequencies of the walls in the enclosure. Bracing boxes is done to stiffen the walls and raise the resonant frequency of the walls out of the sub's passband. Now, maybe he gained enough mass on a larger wall to help it resonate at a frequency that perhaps reinforced his burp frequency...there's a ton of variables to look at, and it's not an automatic good thing to do(not to mention the money!).

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

It probably had nothing to do with adding mass to the walls though. It was more than likely due to the smoother surface inside the box, promoting smoother air flow. And also because the volume would have been a little lower and raised tuning a little. You generally don't want to add mass and lower the resonant frequencies of the walls in the enclosure. Bracing boxes is done to stiffen the walls and raise the resonant frequency of the walls out of the sub's passband. Now, maybe he gained enough mass on a larger wall to help it resonate at a frequency that perhaps reinforced his burp frequency...there's a ton of variables to look at, and it's not an automatic good thing to do(not to mention the money!).

lol...i got an xtra 150sq feet layin around the shop...

mivtCK.png

Archived