using diodes to step up voltage

Does the sense wire on a gm, like the 3.8L supply it with a voltage? or ohms or what? Like how would i read a before and after of the orange wire with a multimeter.

Here's my thoughts.. for those of us who don't like the 16.0v cold, why couldn't you do this.

Get a 2 position toggle switch. Wired like this:

Orange wire to (+) in on toggle.

No diode wire on one switched acc(+) to alt for warming the alt up

Dioded Wire on the other acc (+) out on the toggle, and just flip the switch when it's warm... any ideas?

1985 Chevy Silverado Black and Silver SBC 350/700r4

So, you're saying its perfectly fine to just cut the C wire on say a 95 honda accord? my car just loves shutting the alt off..

Just FYI, this is only true on some Honda's/Acuras. If I remember correctly, the last vehicles to use an S type regulator were Integra GSR's and Legends. The green/white wire is normally the C wire on Honda's, NOT the S wire. The C wire is what the PCM sends a ground signal to the alternator to shut it off in economy mode. Gound the C terminal on a Honda, alt goes off like a lightswitch just like it's supposed to. You want better voltage on Honda's, just CUT the C wire and just stop the PCM from shutting the alt off.. If you try to put an inline diode on a C wire to B+ on ANY Honda, you WILL blow the regulator up. Just FYI, to my knowledge, from ~2002 there wasn't a single mainstream Honda/Acura made that had a sensing type regulator, and the last one I can think of was the Acura legend in '01-'02. No Civic or Accord has used an S type regulator since the early '90s, the last Civic to use it was I think '89...

IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY IDEA OR ANY MECHANICAL SENSE WITH WORKING ON VEHICLES PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK NONE OF US ARE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS

spl kid: yes im gonna do it lol i just gotta wait for some damn weather to work in. we had a bad snow storm then its been raining a lot so i havent been able to tear into it yet. im gonna go pick up my diodes and i have a few pots from volt modding videocards lol

also ill link you all to some of the reading i was doing before this thread was posted

good read here and at the bottom he made his own http://www.amsterdam...e_regulator.htm

edit: FOR HONDA'S AND ACURA'S ONLY

White/Blue Wire = 'L' wire. I assume this means LIGHT, because it is the warning light in the other diagrams. Seems to connect to the Black/Yellow, my guess is it checks the voltage on that wire, and if it is too high/low it will trip the 'warning light'

White/Green = "S" wire. Goes to underhood relay box, FUSE 8 (10A), according to the manual, fuse 8 is the voltage regulator.

Black/Yellow = "IG" wire. goes to ignition switch, coil, condenser etc,

White/Red = "FR" wire. Goes to ECU, dunno what it does there other than the previously mentioned confusing ACGF.

the "S" aka sense wire is the wire that needs the diodes added in to trick it.

sense wires OBD2 = WHITE/GREEN OBD1 = WHITE/YELLOW

it can be done on either hondas or acuras with the color wire shown.

heres another one for you honda/acura guys

"S" is the sense line. This helps the voltage regulator inside the alt. maintain the proper voltage. The idea is to sense the actual voltage from a more remote part of the power system. This could be connected to any positive voltage source really. The battery + terminal or the main lug on the starter would be a good choice.

so we add the diodes to that sense wire it will trick it and it will raise the voltage for us.

i will be doing testing with my car maybe tomorrow if the weather permits

edit 2: also if you are capable of doing this mod all you have to do is look up your alternator wiring spec sheet and find out which one is the sense wire

Is their anyone thats done it to a camry? Havnt seen it posted just wanna know which color wire it would be.?

145.9@40hz

145.3@34hz

big 3

X2 group 34

Deka Group 31

All 0/1 awg jl meta wire

Alpine CDA 7894

Orion HCCA D5000

2 AQ HDC312's

Crunch gpv1100.2 (for 6.5"s only)

AQ pro audio 6.5" - 3 sets

AQ supertweeters - 2 sets

2000 Slamry

I was wondering if anybody knew how to do this to a 2000 Dodge Stratus ES? I tried it but all it did was reduce my voltage. I went from 14.0v to 13.6v - 13.8v. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How do I do this on my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I read 14.4v Cold and 13.2v Cold I want 14.4v Warm :)

i just bought a adjustable voltage regulator for my 96 and i get 14.6 warm

Team DBs (Driven By sound)

techforce_teamdbs.gif

can someone help me out also. do Fords have a sense wire . my voltage is dropping to mid 12's when cranked for a long time in hot weather. i have 96 mustang gt with the 4.6 v8, thanks in advance.

1996 mustang gt

• cobra bumper
  • cowl hood
  • c-spring lowered
  • msd ignition, frpp wires , ngks
  • 2 chamber flowbasterds

Sound system

• Pioneer headunit
  • clarion eqs746
  • polk audio mm571's 5x7's
  • polk audio mm691 6x9's
  • planet auido bb150.4 for highs mids
  • stock mach 460 mids and walmart silk dome tweets
  • planet audio bb2400.1
  • 2x 1242 d4 alpine type r's
  • 3.5 cu enclosure tuned to 32 hz
  • all knu concepts & tsunami 1/0 ofc amp runs and monster powerflex big three ofc runs.
  • 2xkinetik khc600 batts in parallel.

for the people asking for help. try google and see what that brings up. thats were i find all the spec sheets to look and see were the sense wire is. just type in your vehicle and alternator wiring or something similar. sometimes you can find free ones and sometimes you cant. your looking for a wire that says "S" or sense

2015 silverado crew cab

nothing atm but soon...

• 2 weeks later...

from looking at all the diagrams it looks like the white wire is your sense wire for your alt. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. i am not responsible for anything that you do to your vehicle. just trying to help out if people understand the chance there taking. it could be good results or could mess something up. i will be going today to get my diodes and maybe ill have it in also. gonna try and make an adjustable one to see how it works. ill report back later with my results

toyotai.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

you think you can look up a 98 dodge ram 5.2l the alternator has a external regulator? im wondering what wire is the sense wire. not to sure if this has been done with dodge car since alot of them have a external regulator. thanks any help would be nice

from looking at all the diagrams it looks like the white wire is your sense wire for your alt. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. i am not responsible for anything that you do to your vehicle. just trying to help out if people understand the chance there taking. it could be good results or could mess something up. i will be going today to get my diodes and maybe ill have it in also. gonna try and make an adjustable one to see how it works. ill report back later with my results

toyotai.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

you think you can look up a 98 dodge ram 5.2l the alternator has a external regulator? im wondering what wire is the sense wire. not to sure if this has been done with dodge car since alot of them have a external regulator. thanks any help would be nice

if i remember right that has a ecu controlled but there is a after market exsternal volt reg you can adjust it to where you want it

Team DBs (Driven By sound)

techforce_teamdbs.gif

Archived