'91 Civic hatchback wall build

Thanks man. We really don't have that much money in it, as systems go. Lots of folks on this forum have WAAAAAYYYY more in their systems than we do (and it shows). We do, however, have a lot of TIME in it, but that's what makes it fun and rewarding. Hey, if it was easy, everybody would do it, right?

So I got home from work the other night, grab a bite to eat, and head to the garage to find this:

S6300028.jpg

Shop Vac in hand, cleaning a 150+ db car audio system with his Iphone in his pocket, headphones on, jamming to the Beastie Boys.

Him: "Why does sawdust stick to carpet so bad?"

Me: "Cuz if it didn't, you wouldn't have anything to do for three hours....."

I mean, he took the seats out, console out, plastic thing around the emergency brake out, etc. All just to VACUUM.

One thing I'm thankful for: he has tremendous attention to detail.

And yes, it seriously took him three hours. That car hasn't been that clean since we've owned it.

i like this build a lot you guys are a great team. i have a 93 hatch and would love to do this to it lol. maybe one day

All you gotta do is do it. You got two outside mirrors, right.....??

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we competed in a MidwestSPL event in Altus on Saturday, and we learned something...............

We learned that impedence rise is keeping us from doing near the power that we need to. In MidwestSPL, they clamp your amps during the run, so they know for sure you don't go over the power allowed in that class. We are allowed 4000 watts in Adv. 2. We clamped at just under HALF that.......

So we've been doing some studying and some figuring. Right now, we have the two Audiopipe 1500s wired at 1 ohm each. But, what would happen if we strapped them at .5 ohm? .25 ohm each??

We read up on it, and people say you can't do it with these amps. They will go into protect, blow a fuse, blow up, etc. "They're cheap amps." "Buy a real amp." Blah blah blah.

Well, we did it anyway.....

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

And (everyone has one of these stories....) we actually did a 152.8, but of course forgot to take a pic of it, cuz it was the first burp and we thought maybe we could get it even louder. Still, that's a good 1 db gain over what we were doing. 1.5 db gain if you count that first burp. And the AP1500s took it like a champ.

Now don't get me wrong, I know the APs are cheap. I'm sure we'd be louder with more expensive amps. But hey, it's a budget build....

What´s the impedance rise kevin??? very nice score man, you are FUCKING LOUD with cheap ass amplifiers and one of the lowest lines from DD, congrats on that 152.8 hommie!!

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

What´s the impedance rise kevin??? very nice score man, you are FUCKING LOUD with cheap ass amplifiers and one of the lowest lines from DD, congrats on that 152.8 hommie!!

Thanks. I don't have my own clamp meter, so I'm not sure of the actual impedance rise. I mainly just wanted to see what would happen if we strapped them. Looks like the good ole' Audiopipes ain't too bad after all....

We are kinda taking pride in NOT spending money on this system. I know we will get some different amps, but still, I just have to see what it will do with these before we get rid of them.

Archived